Chapter 1: The Talisman

Taylor's POV.

I cringed as the car approached the house.

Sorry, did I say house? that was an understatement. I meant mansion.

We had been driving for over eight freaking hours, just to move from my perfect life? After everything that had happened?

I could'nt believe this was really happening. Just when I had sorted out everything back home, we had to move again? New house, New school. I would have to memorise the bus routes, train routes, local services... Most importantly...

What if there was repeat of...

I clutched my lucky talisman my uncle had given me before he died. The key was not to get too worked up. Unless I wanted it to destroy my life of course...

Again.

There were no other houses around for about 10 yards. Everything was secluded, by trees, but it seemed the gardens were very big, and were pretty much next to each other.

I guess that was okay...

The Talisman glinted in my palm as the sunlight shone across it.

Surely that was a good sign?

Taking deep breaths, I took hold of the car door handle, and pulled on it. It was stiflingly hot inside the car, so i welcomed the cooling breeze which enveloped me as I clambered out of the vehicle. I turned to Tyrell, my older brother, who was sleeping, slumped on his seatbelt as if it was some kind of support. No doubt he would fit into this new neighbourhood nicely.

"Taylor! " My mum called from inside the house.

I successfully composed my thoughts and picked up my small rucksack. Most of our belongings had already been transferred to the new house over the past few months, despite my... interferences.

"Taylor?! " my mum called again.

Running a hand through my auburn hair, I reluctantly trudged through the gravel pathway to the doorstep. Where my mother welcomed me with a hug.

"Taylor" she said calmly, looking into my eyes. " I know this may not have been exactly what you wanted, but please... Just... try it out for me... for us."

I looked up into her green eyes as if she was crazy... I hadnt been planning to speak to anyone since we left, but now I just wanted to get to my room and unpack.

"Yeah, okay mum ", I said, pushing past her. "Can I choose my room?".

"I would say yes," she replied, avoiding eye contact. "but your father and I have already chosen the rooms... I can help you fi-"

I cut her off with a sigh. "no, its alright." I said "I'll find it myself, I just need some time to think."

I walked past her into what seemed like a kitchen. The marble countertops were polished, and it seemed to be the home to every kitchen appliance known to mankind. I was impressed.

I walked up the red carpeted spiral staircase to my left. My parents had really gone all out decorating this place.

The stairway went up to 3 stories, but i had specifically asked my mum to put my room amongst one of the many on the 2nd floor. Once I reached the landing, I made my way to the door farthest to my left, which opened to reveal a large bathroom. Good enough.

the next room was empty, the one after that was also empty, but the walls looked like they were in the middle of being painted. It also had glass double doors at the far end of the room, which led to a balcony.