Chapter 12

Jace

The week passed by in a slow tick of seconds that turned into minutes that turned into hours and so forth, leading us up to the weekend I have promised to take my wife and kids to visit my father. Funny how life works, isn’t it? You go from never speaking to your Dad because of a hatred with a life of its own to bringing your family to meet him for the first time.

Rose comes down the steps adorned in a white dress with splashes of pastel pink and red roses and white sandals. Xavier follows close behind in checkered grey and white shorts accompanied with a white Polo shirt. The two look up at me expectantly and I smile.

“Do you like my dress, daddy,” Rose asks, holding the sides out and twirling. I chuckle softly and kneel down, “You look beautiful.”

Xavier taps on my shoulder, “How about me, daddy?”

I raise an eye brow and make a “hm” noise before winking, “You’re almost as handsome as me.”

Xavier giggles and waves me off, before going back to stand beside his sister and wait for Mommy to descend the stairs. I hear our bedroom door close and then small clicks on our hard wood steps. Saylin saunters into the kitchen embellished in a peach sundress and nude heels. She smiles at me beneath elongated eyelashes and a part of me melts.

“You look… stunning,” I breathe.

She blushes and then smiles, “You’re not too bad yourself.”

The two of us herd the kids out of the front door and into the cool summer, but soon to be fall, air and buckle them safely in their designated seats, before safely backing out of the driveway and onto the open road.

Saylin leafs through radio stations and settles on a station with soft, classical music. Her choice is very fitting for the atmosphere of the car and the atmosphere outside. Animals scurry in and out of sight, followed by their families or friends; leaves flutter in the breeze and drift through the air around us, some alone and others surrounded by others of their kind.

Rose and Xavier hum along to the classical music in between playing various games kids of their age play; some including Patty Cake and Ms. Mary Mack.

“Hey, daddy,” Xavier says, moving into a more comfortable position.

“Yes,” I ask, glancing in the rearview mirror briefly before returning my attention to the road.

“Where are we going?”

Saylin and I peek at each other behind secretive smiles and I turn my attention to Xavier, “It’s a surprise.”

“A surprise,” Rose pipes up, leaning forward as much as the restraint will allow.

I nod, “Yes ma’am. A surprise, indeed. Mommy and I think you’ll like it.”

Rose and Xavier sit back in their seats and whisper amongst themselves; probably discussing their theories behind this big surprise. Later rather than sooner, the sign to the next county comes into view. My excitement is hardly containable as I make the usual turn and the place my father resides in comes into view.

I glance in the rearview mirror once to see Rose and Xavier both staring at the luminous building in awe and confusion.

“What’s this place, daddy,” Rose asks, never taking her eyes off of the building.

“A very special place for me and you and Xavier and Mommy. You’ll like what’s inside, I promise.”

“Pinky,” the twins question in unison.