//seven//

JAEDEN'S POV

JAEDEN'S POV

"i'm leaving for school," i say, swinging my backpack over my shoulder. "i'll be home later tonight, okay?" alice eyes me wearily and her gaze flickers down to my hand. i tense up, fearing what her next words might be.

"show me your knuckles, jae." she says softly, standing up and walking over to me. i look at her, desperately hoping she won't make me, but she looks dead into my eyes and i give in.

i roll up my sleeve and she gently takes my hand, looking at my knuckles. they're slightly swollen and bruised, with a couple minor cuts. she looks at it for a few moments, and i can see her eyes glazing over.

she drops my hand and looks at me with disappointment and watery eyes. i feel shame flood my body as i stare right back at her.

"alice-" i try to explain, but she cuts me off.

"you said you wouldn't." she sniffs, holding her index finger up at me. "you said you wouldn't do it again. and i don't care who it was. you... you promised..." alice's voice falters.

i feel my heart shatter into a million pieces as the guilt weighs down on me.

"i'm sorry." those two words seem to be all i can manage and she shakes her head, wiping her tears away.

"you can't break a promise, jaeden." she turns away and goes up to her room. after i watch her go upstairs, i roll my sleeves down and turn around.

with heavy shoulders and a stony face, i leave the house. that damned house full of sorrow.

--

OCTAVIA'S POV

"i can't." i say, putting my hand on his chest and looking up at him with a fake pout. "amelia and sophia made plans with me, babe."

"alriiiight." aidan says, dragging out the word and smiling down at me. "have fun, okay?"

"i will." i say, and he leans down to press a quick kiss to my lips.

"let's go already!" sophia says, shouting at me as they approach us. we pull apart and he waves as i depart with my best friends.

"you do realize that it isn't a rainy day and anyone can come in today, right?" amelia asks me as we cross the street and i fiddle with my lighter, tossing it from hand to hand.

"yeah. we just have to deal with it." i sigh, finally putting the lighter away and speeding up to walk alongside amelia and sophia.

-

the door jingles as we walk in, and i look around with slight unfamiliarity. it's odd for us to come into ricky's when there are more than two tables taken.

"hi!" ricky says, waving to us as we approach the counter. "what are you three doing here on a sunny day?" he asks, grabbing a rag to dry off a glass cup.