The Girl Who Fears Yelling

Dear Family,

Sometimes, words seem less threatening than they are.

Acousticophobia.

Now, how bad can that be? Sure, phobia sounds a little rough, but the first part reminds you of music! How could music be bad?

Acousticophobia: fear of sound

A little less sweet once the definition's behind it, huh? No, I'm not telling you I'm terrified of all sound. Why would I listen to my music so loudly if I was? No, acousticophobia can be fear of all sound or fear of a certain sound. In my case, it's yelling.

And gunshots, but that's not important.

Yelling and screaming really sets me off. Package that with (pop quiz, what was the last letter about?) my atelophobia and my chronic anxiety, I fear getting yelled at.

No, I don't want pity. That's not what these notes are about at all. Family, I don't want you to get mad or think I'm making excuses. You usually do. When I told you about my fear, you only yelled more.

It's almost as if you get some sick pleasure out of seeing me tremble, seeing me cry.

I guess you're all fearless, but surely you understand what it feels like, right? Weren't you ever scared as a child? You were patient with my brother when he was afraid of water? Mom, you're scared of a lot. Don't you understand? Or do you just not care?

Either way, this isn't the way to help me overcome it.

From,
The Girl Who Fears Yelling