Dreamin' of You

I buried my toes in the warm sand, looking out over the lake. The sunset was turning the still blue water shades of purple and pink. The hum of traffic seemed to fade away in this place. I was alone on the beach, sitting on a ratty old picnic blanket. Something like déjà vu pricked at me, but for the life of me I couldn’t remember if I’d ever been here before.

“Mina?” A voice called in the distance. Someone was walking towards me, but the light was behind them and I couldn’t see their face.

“Here!” I called back. As the person got closer, something in me recognized him. He dropped to his knees next to me on the blanket, blue eyes meeting mine.

“I missed you.” He murmured, leaning in to kiss me. Just as he did, I became aware of hands shaking me awake.

“Mina, come on, you gotta get up!” I blinked a few times, feeling the sticky strings of sleep holding me down. The face above me swam as my eyes focused. Hazel eyes looked down at me, a broad smile crinkling their corners.

Hazel. Not blue. I felt like I’d been punched in the stomach.  

“Do I have to?” I groaned, sitting up.

“Yes, you do.” Sam gave me a soft peck on the lips. “You told me you still needed to pack last night and to wake you up early.”

“If someone hadn’t wanted some post-final nookie, I wouldn’t have to be up early.” I glared at my boyfriend of two years. He’d finished his last final last night and wanted to celebrate. I’d suggested going out for pizza and beer. He had other ideas.

“I can’t get enough of you baby.” He grinned and I felt my heart stutter. God he was beautiful. That chiseled jaw and Roman nose made me weak in the knees.

“Clearly.” I stretched, feeling my spine pop from the force. “Come on, let’s go get some breakfast.” I could already smell my favorite breakfast sandwich from the health food place down the block. My stomach gurgled in response.

“Lola called, she and George made pancakes.”

“Fuck Silvergreens, we’re heading home.” I pulled on last night’s clothes and headed into the bathroom to brush my teeth. Sam kept a spare here for me so I could spend the night without having to run back to my house before class.

Once I was dressed, we walked the three blocks from his apartment to my building. 6660 Abrego Road was the place I called home. From outside Unit #6, I could smell the pancakes. My mouth watered in anticipation.

“Honey, I’m home!” I bellowed, walking into the kitchen. Two of my three roommates were there. Megan had already gone home to Crescent City for spring break. I would be leaving today, but not until I had some of these blueberry pancakes. I wrapped my arms around Lola’s tattooed waist, squeezing my best friend tightly. I was a full head taller than her, but she was a powerhouse of sound and strength.

“You know one of these days you’re going to end up burning your belly.” I said, swatting some of her blonde hair out of my face.

“I’ll deal with that when it happens.” She laughed. That girl never did like to wear clothes at home. Right now she was wearing tiny shorts with a dolphin print and a bra.

“I already warned her, she won’t listen.” George said from her spot by the sink. She looked like a model lounging on the counter at 9 am and I hated her for it. “Heya Sammy.” She fist bumped my forgotten boyfriend. “How was the English 179 final?”

“Brutal.” He shook his head. “But it’s done and that’s what matters, I guess.”

“There’s coffee if you want some, Min.” Lola said, flipping the latest batch of pancakes onto a platter.