XIV

••CHAPTER FOURTEEN |ALONE

CHAPTER FOURTEEN |ALONE

The next morning, Mathew knocked on my door. He wanted to know if I was ready for the run with the pack.

Half-asleep and disoriented by my new surroundings I told him I was unwell— that I couldn't come. He seemed to believe it too after I staggered back into the bed, leaving him to close the door behind me with him muttering something about 'sending some breakfast up'.

I fell quickly back into a deep slumber. The feel of the plush mattress and soft blankets, comforting me in a way a sleeping bag never could.

It was only when I awoke the second time to a knock on the door, did I really start to come to my senses. I opened the door to find the hall empty. I almost overlooked the tray of food at my feet.

I picked it up and walked back into my room. Flinging the door shut with the side of my foot.

I set the tray of food down on the unmade bed. The smell of fresh pastries and honeyed oatmeal wafting from the array of breakfast foods. Still dizzy with sleep, it didn't look or smell half as good as it should have done .

I sat beside it with a sigh, letting my tiredness sweep over me. My mind soon began thinking back to interaction with Mathew a few moments earlier.

I felt a little guilty for lying— for faking being unwell. And yet . . . I didn't regret it.

Because the idea of running amongst such a large group of wolves sent a coil of shameful fear down my spine. I was a human— I was no wolf. Running in the woods, apart of a species I was not genetically apart of just felt humiliating. I could run— yes. But at the speed of a wolf? It just wasn't physically possible. Not to mention dangerous . . .

Kyron prevented me from running and playing with the other wolves— for this very reason. Despite how much I may have wanted to, despite how much I may have fought against it, he still strictly prohibited it. He wouldn't have wanted me at the run, he was most likely happy I didn't come. It was his worse fear after all. Me, getting hurt by the hands of a wolf— whilst under his watch.

I sipped at the ice water and nibbled at the side of a pastry. Finding it to taste much more bitter than it should.

After I had finished eating, I made my way to my bathroom. Feeling the day's old grime coating my skin and wanting nothing more than to scrub my skin raw.

The bathroom was just how I remembered it from yesterday, yet it still stunned me. I was not used to such luxury.

The abundance of rundown motel bathrooms we had passed through as a pack were nothing compared to this.