Chapters 11 - 15

Chapter 11: What Raymond Knew

Pax had passed out from exhaustion somewhere between Panama and Belize.

Now Raymond, having carefully removed the torn pieces of fabric which had clung to her body, gently swabbed the bruises with antiseptic. He had carried her home to the family manor in Burnson Grove. It was a quiet house tucked away in a secluded clearing in the middle of a massive redwood forest. His small mother stood in the doorframe, with her fingers interlocked near her lips in a prayerful position.

“She was using Ruby Form?” Amelia Burnson asked with a furrowed brow. “Good heavens. She swore she wouldn’t…”

“It was like she was possessed. I’ve never seen her like that,” Raymond admitted. “Has she seemed troubled? Did you try speaking with her?”

“Honey, I haven’t seen Pax in over a month. She has a condo in the city where she stays most of the time with Thorn. Either there or at the Kalgren Compound. She did come home really upset a while ago… but before I could find out what was wrong, she took off.” Amelia pulled her lips into a thin line as she stared at her son. “I knew something was wrong when I found all her hair in the trash—I knew it was serious, but what could I do? I don’t have your father’s talents—I’m just a regular woman. I tried calling but she wouldn’t answer her phone.”

“I’m sorry. I should have been here.” Raymond closed his eyes and shook his head.

“Is she going to be okay?” Amelia asked, her eyes quickly scanning the comatose girl on the bed.

“Pax is made of tough stuff, mom. A few scrapes and bruises could never break a Burnson.”

“Oh, Ray,” Amelia said, turning around swiftly so that her son could not see the emotion on her face. He still heard it in her wavering voice. “Couldn’t you have come home to visit without someone needing to be mortally wounded?”

“I can’t stand being in this house,” Raymond said quietly. “It reminds me too much of her.”

“It’s been over ten years.”

“It feels like just yesterday. How can I stay in the Grove, knowing this is where Bridget lived and died?”

“I have the same pain of loss for your father,” Amelia said, her back still turned. “But did it ever stop me from taking care of you and your brother? Sakra knows I still take care of Ash even though he’s 37. Pax may act tough and independent, but she needs us. Specifically, she needs you. You’re her father, and you’re the son of a deva. She needs to be closer to her roots than her human grandmother can provide.”

“But Ash is…”

“…a pathetic replacement for you,” Amelia finished, leaving the doorway. “I’m going to prepare dinner.”

As Amelia’s footsteps creaked on the old stairs, Raymond turned to gaze at his daughter. “I thought things were fine, Paxie. I wish you would have told me before it got to this point.” He sighed. “I know I’ve been distant in many ways. It’s my fault that you feel you can’t talk to me… but you’re still my little girl.”

*                *                *

Amara glanced up at the imposing old house as she parked in the driveway of Burnson Grove. The isolated Victorian mansion contrasted sharply with the modern style and congested urban setting of the Kalgren Compound. She used to love this house and look forward to tasting Grandma Amelia’s cooking when she visited with her mother. Now, she could not help hating the beautiful building a little because of its association with Asher. She had called ahead, and she knew that he was not at home, but she still felt queasy as she pushed open her car door and took a deep breath.