chapter one

of steel and men.

| Casterly Rock |

The clashing of swords was a familiar melody to Leonora Lannister

The clashing of swords was a familiar melody to Leonora Lannister. Metal on metal, grit against grit, two sides at odds with one another. A collection of targeted jabs and swinging blades, the threat of being stabbed constantly looming. Pierced skin, dripping with an ominous red.

They were a brother and sister training together, for none were better than Jaime.

Her footing was calculated as the siblings danced across the stone courtyard. Each fibre of her being was perfectly balanced, poised for attack. Sweat beaded on her forehead, dripping down and onto the dirty paves, leaving small splatters on the ground. Her body ached and lungs stung from the exertion, each movement purposeful. The skirt of her dress swirled and folded as she moved, dancing in the sunlight.

Every moment Leonora spent without the feeling of adrenaline coursing through her veins, she craved it. It was this craving that led to her current position, backed against the wall, sword angled in an attempt to block Jamie's swings. He towered over her, an advantage that gave him a sly smile and pride to break. He wore no armour, and so Leonora brought her leg up from the ground and pushed her foot against his abdomen in a swift motion, pushing him back.

He stumbled backwards, laughing.

"Good work. You've been practising." He said, readying his sword.

"Well, the only thing better than being trained by the best is being the best, brother." Leonora retorted.

Jaime lunged, thrusting the blade at her side. She moved away from the sword, teetering. Her brother playfully whacked her back with his blade as he came up behind her, laughing at the easy fight. Leonora planted her feet on the ground, squaring her jaw. Spinning around, she brought the hilt of her sword up towards Jaime's temple, though he easily deflected the blow with his own blade. Sticking his foot out, the eldest Lannister tripped his sister, who landed on the ground with a hiss.

"Your movements are sloppy." Jaime critiqued. "You need to be faster and lift your feet."

As her brother circled, the young woman turned over on the dirty paves, bringing a hand up to her lip. It revealed a deep red, contrasting with the warmth of her skin. She wiped away the blood and stood, giving him a smirk. Jaime smirked in return, emitting confidence.

Lurching forward, he swung the blade towards Leonora's stomach. She sidestepped him, smacking his blade away with her own. Advancing towards her brother, she made quick jabs at his ribs. Each was deflected with ease, though the eldest Lannister continued to take long strides backwards. The two grappled, a storm of strong clashes and thundering steps echoing through the courtyard. Neither were hit, and the sudden fight ended as quickly as it had begun. Trying to predict where her brother would strike next, Leonora brought the hilt of her sword into the air, just as Jaime brought the tip of his blade to cut her hair.