CHAPTER1

The sky was a menacing gunmetal gray,with dark storm clouds flowing in a casting an ominous shadow over the snowcapped peaks in the distance.This would have made for horrible climbing conditions,but it was an eerily fitting backrdrop for what I was about to do.

The house was blaketed in silence.My wife,joanna,was at work,and our kids were both in school.I'd spent the past several weeks cramming in as much family time as possible,playing endless hours of LEGOS with Emily,who had just turned seven,and jordan,who was four.Now it was finally time.I'd checked everything off my to do list,and I had the hoise to myself.It was a moment I'd been thinking about and dreading for months..

  In a matter of days,I would set off on my two months expedition to Mount Everest.it wasn't the climbing that had me anxious it was the thought of being away from my family for so long.When it came to the climb itself,and I had planned worried. I was in the best shape of my life,and I had planned everything down to the last detail.But I was also aware of the reality that people do die on Everest.No matter how well prepared you are,there are always thing ls that are out of your control extreme weather,shifting icefalls avalanches cerebral edema.Let's face it there's a reason they call the top of Moumt Everest the death zone.

As the wind picked up and rain began pelting my office window,I cast one last glance at he darkened face of Mount Everest,whichwas slowly disappering