CHAPTER3

On the morning of april 8 ,sunlight peered through the window as rooster crowed outside.I got up and packed my expedition bag and then went out to enjoy the sunshine.

It was my moms birthday,and I wondered what she was doing 7,000 miles away in Hawaii.She and my dad have moved there recently to take care of my grandmother,who had a stroke.They were planning to stay in Hawaii for a while to make sure she was taken care of.Once she was settled ,they're move her into a nursing home on the island and return homevto southern Oregon.

I set up my solat recharging battery pack to take advantages of an hour of sunlight before we left for the next village,Pheriche.As I unraveled my solar panels,a female trekker from another group bent over and let one go right in my direction.We bought laughed,but I still stepped awat in search of clear air.
Flatulence is one of the lesser known hazard of high altitudes.High elevation cause increased pressure in the stomach,which turn must be released.Among climbers,the condition is known as HAFE,for high altitudes Flatus expulsion.

The trip was already starting to get interesting

The leg of the journey from Deboche(12,900)feet to Pheriche(16,000)feet wasn't very difficult,as  it was just a long,gradual climb.The Sherpas wanted to make a stop along the way at a monastery in Pangboche to participate in a puja a good luck ritual.As a Christian,I was committed to workshiping God alone and not bowing down to false idols,as the bible talks about 1 Corinthians 10.But I also knew that this was important to the Sherpas,and I respected their right to follow their own religion.

               We dropped our packs outside,near four foot piles of drying pyak dung,and ducked through a low doorway to enter the monastery.according to the tradition,a puja ceremony is performed before climbers attempt a summit.White silk scarves are tied around the climbers neck,and a monk throws rice in their faces.