Chapter 7: The real world

Jesse's POV

I went back home. However when I stood in front of the door, I wasn't sure why I came home.

I sighed, entering.

"Jesse, come here."

Great, a talk with my parents again... I walked to them, in the kitchen.

"Sit down." dad ordered, which I did. "We need to talk about this morning." he said to which mom nodded.

I looked down, already dreading what was going to come next...

I heard them sigh. "Jesse..." Mom started, making me look at her. "We need to talk about this morning, we feel bad about it."

I looked at them, surprised. They felt bad? So they must finally realize that their stupid rule doesn't make anyone happy.

Mom looked at dad, as if motioning him to continue. He looked at me. "We don't want you to be unhappy in your life."

At that I smiled, I was relieved. Finally they seemed to understand me!

"We know you prefer girls over boys." he said, to which I nodded. "But can you at least try one date with Elliot, for us."

They both looked at me, begging with their eyes. "But I can't stand him." I said, slowly. I didn't want to create a scene like this morning.

"Just try it once, please." dad said to which mom nodded.

I looked down, sighing. But eventually I nodded, even though I really didn't want to. I'll do it for them.

"Thanks Jess!" They both smiled, hugging me tight. Right then Joyce and Nicole entered. And seeing their faces, I knew they knew what just had happened.

"You two made her do this?" Nicole said, I never noticed how defensive she got over me until now. Maybe she isn't that awful...

"No," dad shook his head. "Jess agreed. She knows that that's what's best for her."

"But she likes girls!" Nicole shouted.

"She's not dating anyone, how can she know? She just hasn't met the right person, and Elliot will be that." mom said, to which Nicole and Joyce both shook their head.

Nicole looked at me. "How can you just sit there and agree with them? You know that you're giving up on true happiness."

I looked down.

"Don't tell her what to do, she chose the right thing."

"She didn't choose anything, you made her choose!"

"Don't you dare use that tone on us, young lady!"

They kept going and going, shouting and screaming at each other. I sat there, my hands covering my ears, while I was watching them going at each other.

I didn't want this, I don't want to be here now. I got up and ran upstairs, to my room. I closed the door, and locked it. I laid down on my bed and sighed.

"I need you, Sid." I whispered, holding my heart in the process. "Now more than ever." After that, I closed my eyes.

_____________________________

I opened my eyes again, looking around. Immediately a smile formed on my face. "Sid!"

I heard a lot of noise in the house, and suddenly the door opened. "Jesse!" Sid hurried to me, and hugged me so tight.

I hugged her back, burying my face in her neck area. I missed her so much today, I knew she'd protect me against all the bad things in the real world. Against my parents.

She pulled back and immediately kissed me. She held my face so close to hers, caressing my cheeks in the process.

After a while we pulled back, smiling at each other. "I missed you so much, Sid, you have no idea."

She showed her typical warmhearted smile while caressing my cheeks. "I missed you too, I hate the separation."

I nodded, placing my hands on top of hers. "I don't want to leave anymore, Sid." I leaned in, resting my head on her shoulder. "Don't make me leave anymore, please."

She wrapped her arms around my waist, holding me close. "I wish you could stay. But fact is, this world isn't real." At that I looked up at her. "You created this world, baby."

I looked her in the eyes. "It's real to me."

"Of course it is, because you created it." She kissed my forehead. "Why don't we go do something fun?"

I smiled. "A walk on the beach?"

She smiled as well. "Sounds amazing." She got up, went to her closet and took her beach clothes out of it. "I'm ready when you are."

I smiled and got up as well. I reached for her hand, and intertwined our fingers. We left our little house, by our tree. Ah our tree, I remember meeting Sid here. Ever since then, we moved to this tree.

Anyway, we arrived at the beach, really fast. And started walking, along the coastline. It was a great way for us to talk about everything and nothing at the same time.

"So, how was your day?"

I looked down, kicking the water with my feet.

"Jesse?"

I looked at her. "It could've been better."

She raised her eyebrows. "What happened?"

I sighed. "Mom and dad made me go on a date with Elliot."

"Elliot the jerk?" I couldn't help but chuckle, she knew so much about me and my life. It felt really good, having someone that knows you so well.

"Yes," I kicked some water around again. "And I agreed."

Sid made us both stop walking. "What? Why? I thought you hated him. I thought everyone hated him."

I nodded.

She sighed but pulled me closer. "Why did you say yes?"

I looked at her, in the eyes. "They said that I should give him a chance because I'm not dating anyone. Oh and they don't like me liking girls."

She shook her head no. "You are in a relationship, you know." She continued walking, so I followed her.

"I know, but in the real world -"

"You're still dating me." Right then, I felt her holding my hand tighter. "No one's coming between us."

I smiled but couldn't help to think about the real world. She's not there, she'll never be there. So are we dating in that world? I don't know...

We continued walking along the coastline for what seemed hours, which was pretty plausible seeing as we had the whole night. Well my real world night. Over here it was just day.

Eventually we went back to our tree, that's when we saw the sun go down. We both knew it was time to say goodbye again...