CHAPTER 1 || Arrival

+ + +

Darcey Blackwater High. An ominous name, quite fitting regarding the tall, looming building that towered over the small suburbs of the Blackwater District. This supposedly excellent school was part of a long string of institutions belonging to the obscure Newcastle School Board, along with Belladonna Academy and Blackwater University. It had obtained itself five golden stars on Dad's favourite school ratings website, but I honestly didn't see what was so special about it. To me, it simply looked like an old, haunted mansion. The monument rose intimidatingly over the lush green lawn before it and cast shadows across the students scattered around the school; the bricks were black, the windows tinted dark. I found myself looking upwards at the school, wondering whether I would fit in here.

"Trust me," Dad had told me, sounding a little too confident in himself. "This school is for people like you. You'll like it there, I promise." People like me. I highly doubted that I'd find other people who could do the things I could. Although I had given him a disbelieving look, I'd agreed to check it out. My father made wise decisions... usually.

In other schools, I was always the odd one out. Students were wary of me because of the 'strange vibes' I gave them – however, I knew that it was all bullshit. They were scared of me because I was a freak, simple as that. Because of my inability to contain my powers, I always ended up changing schools after no more than five months. In my last school, a human incarnation of the Barbie doll had started teasing me – spitting nasty remarks and siccing her cronies onto me – and I couldn't tolerate it, so I lost control: I dropped a flower pot over her head using my mind.

I can't say I regretted it, though. The girl was an awful person, and she deserved everything she got. I did, however, feel remorse for my father, who had to go through all the trouble to find another school for me. Sorry, Dad...

Darcey Blackwater High was his final choice, and I could only hope things wouldn't go wrong again.

I took a few hesitant steps towards the entrance of the building when the sound of crackling leaves directly above me made me halt in my footsteps. I tilted my head in the direction of the noise, and my gaze locked with a pair of stunning Caribbean blue eyes.

"Hi," said the boy.

I frowned at him. The boy had messy raven black hair and deathly pale skin and was perched comfortably on a tree branch. He was regarding me with an amusement in his eyes. "How'd you get up there?"

He smiled but did not answer. "Are you the new girl?" He took a sip out of a plastic cup while awaiting my answer. I took note of his slight British accent.

"I'm Elora Hawksworth," I introduced myself. "Today's my first day."

He was quiet for a while and seemed to be analyzing me. I wasn't wearing anything extravagant today, unlike my old habits. I used to spend hours deciding on the perfect back-to-school outfit, always adding something special to it, like a sparkly hair clip or fancy shoes. Today I was wearing blue jeans, a tank top and a black jacket, paired with my favourite beat-up sneakers.

The only accessory I wore was a necklace of my mother's.

"Lucian Carlyle," he said at last. "You can call me Luke."

I flashed him my most charming smile. "It's nice to meet you, Luke."

He seemed oddly surprised at my reply. "So," he said. "What's your ability?"

Ability? "What do you mean?"

"You know," he said, levelling his blue gaze with my own. "Your... power."