CHAPTER 3 || Amber

CHAPTER 3 || Amber

+ + +

The gymnasium was massive. Its glossy, sparkling clean floor – which was probably scrubbed several times a day by the janitors – and countless victory flags attached to the walls and ceiling gave it an air of majesty and awe, and with four basketball nets, two soccer goals (even though there was a full-sized soccer field outside), several volleyball and badminton nets, and a gigantic scoreboard looming over the gym, the other schools I'd been to couldn't even begin to compete against this gymnasium. One part of the gym was a room reserved for the dozens of trophies the school has won from previous games – some were small and could fit in the palm of my hand while others were taller than myself.

"This is huge," I breathed in astonishment.

When a voice spoke directly next to my ear, I could swear I'd almost pissed myself. "It is, isn't it?" I turned around to see Luke watching me with curious eyes.

He was dressed in sports clothes – gym shorts and a muscle tank top. My eyes were drawn to the prominent abs that were visible through his shirt before I scolded myself for staring and returned my gaze to his clear blue eyes. "Oh, hey Luke."

"Jumpy, are we?" He said, perking an eyebrow.

I felt my cheeks heat up, and I cast my gaze downwards in embarrassment. Before I could say anything, though, a sharp whistle sounded throughout the gymnasium. Students immediately turned their heads towards the coach, who was a big, muscular man with a dark complexion and a stern face.

"That's Coach Ramsey," Luke told me discreetly. "He's a werewolf."

"Are all the teachers here supernatural?" I whispered. I didn't want to get in trouble with the coach for speaking – that dude was scary.

"Professor Kirkeby is a human," said the vampire. "She was blessed with the gift of Knowledge and Beauty by an enchantress who happened to be acquainted with her mother." Wow.

After Coach Ramsey explained today's sport (volleyball, ugh), he gave us one last intimidating look before sending us off to the locker rooms. I was slipping on my blue sports shirt when a high-pitched shriek made me snap my head up in alarm, alerted by the sudden commotion.

"You bitch," hissed a girl, venom dripping from her words.

The other girl rolled her icy blue eyes. I got momentarily distracted from the drama playing out before me as I stared at her flawless eyes. They were encircled by thick, long lashes painted with black mascara, and the cold blue of her irises was chilling to the core. They seemed to have been literally drawn by an artist. "Alexia, I don't know what's gotten into you, but you gotta calm down."

"What kind of sister are you?" Exclaimed the first girl, Alexia, her disorderly blonde hair identical to her sister's floating wildly in the air. "You made him leave me, Angelica! It was because of you! How could you do this to me?" By now, her hair had started glowing unnaturally – it had become a fluorescent shade of yellow-orange, like the colour of fire.

Angelica was busy combing through her silky pale hair. "I don't know what you're talking about," she said offhandedly. "I didn't do or say anything to him. He must have realized on his own that he was but a filthy human who doesn't deserve a fairy as powerful as you, sis."

This seemed to tip Alexia over the edge. "I hate you!" She screeched, her hands curled at her sides, her beast-like claws digging into the flesh of her palms and drawing blood. I was so entranced by the scene that I almost didn't notice the tiny flames sprouting from Alexia's skin. The flames increased in size and heat, and soon enough, her entire body was consumed by the hot, pulsating fire.