CHAPTER 4 || Execution

+ + +

As I was walking through the crowded hallways on my way to the cafeteria (I had actually remembered its location this time, unlike the incident with the gymnasium), I began to notice things I hadn't paid attention to before. Abnormal, unusual, seemingly impossible things – for example, the fashionista surrounded by her posse of friends as they all carefully did their makeup were using their powers to make the drawing stick levitate in order to apply eyeliner. It was fascinating to see them apply makeup so flawlessly, their cosmetics tools floating in the air around them.

I made my way through the busy corridors feeling like I was in a strange action movie. On my trip to the cafeteria, I had watched two guys baring their elongated teeth at each other as they battled for a beautiful girl – the maiden had seemed lost like she didn't know what was happening or what to do. I had watched a group of geeks giving one another a series of pointed stares and meaningful hand gestures – I then realized that they were communicating telepathically.

I stepped through the doors of the cafeteria, my gaze skimming over the impressive number of students seated at their tables and happily conversing with one another. I spotted Amelie waiting in line and approached her, feeling out of place in this sophisticated canteen – it seemed more like a dining hall than an ordinary school's cafeteria.

"Hi, Elora," said Amelie, her forest green eyes brightening when she saw me. She turned to the lunch lady currently serving food to other students in the waiting line. "They're serving lasagna today," she told me enthusiastically. "The kitchen staff here are amazing and the food is always great, but the lasagna tastes magical."

When it was our turn to order, Amelie and I both took the lasagna meal (it came with a side of salad). I also paid for an extra fruit punch, based on Amelie's preferences – she said that the school's fruit punch was her favourite. With trays in our hands, we made our way over to the table located in the far corner of the canteen, where Kace and Blake were already seated.

The necromancer was buried under the shadow of his hood, randomly swiping across the screen of his iPod – judging by the bulky headphones taking up all the space inside his hood, as well as the clashing of drums audible from said headphones, I presumed that he was listening to music. Meanwhile, Blake was clearly busy multitasking – he was chewing on his bacon sandwich, tapping away on his smartphone and sipping from his can of Coca-Cola, all at once. I was impressed by his ability to perform so many actions simultaneously.

On the other hand, Amelie was eating her lunch absentmindedly while staring off into the distance, her eyes glazed over – it seemed that she was daydreaming.

"Where's Luke?" I asked to break the silence. I recalled the strange way in which he'd acted after I'd become conscious in the infirmary.

Blake raised his eyes from the screen of his cellphone to answer my question. "He's... you know..."

I raised my eyebrows and waited for him to elaborate. "No, I don't know..."

"He's doing, uh, vampy stuff." He scratched his head awkwardly and averted his eyes from mine.

Vampy stuff. "Oh."

I took a bite of my lunch and had to restrain myself from moaning out loud. The lasagna did, in fact, taste magical. It took all of my willpower to prevent myself from completely devouring the meal like a pig in front of my newly acquired friends.

My dad used to cook for me, back when he only had to deal with a single job. Ever since he'd started working more, he became constantly busy, which is why I'd decided to learn how to cook for myself. He'd made lasagna only a few times, and it was alright – definitely not restaurant-worthy, but it was decent. The lasagna I was currently eating was bringing back good memories.