Chapter Four

2017

"You and I both know it's not the truth Toota."

Bright hissed, holding Toota by his collar.  Toota gently placed his hands over Bright's shaking hands.  Bright shivered at his touch, loosening his grip instantly.

"Do I know that Bright?  Are you telling me we were boyfriends at some part of our lives and I have no memory of it?"

Bright continued to hold his gaze.

"We were more than friends.  You can't deny that Toota.  You just can't deny that!" he said, gritting his teeth.

Toota removed Bright's hands away from his shirt.

"Whatever happened between us didn't mean anything Bright.  Saying it meant something after all this time won't change anything," Toota said quietly.

"Are you fucking serious?" Bright retorted.

"You weren't serious about anyone back then.  Why am I any different?"

"Because I loved you," said Bright, pushing Toota angrily.

"Yeah right..."

"No matter who came to our lives I have always stood by you.  I have been with you when you needed me the most.  I came to you whenever you called.  Did it ever occur to you what I might have abandoned to be there for you?"  Bright hated himself for being vulnerable.  Toota made him weak.  He collapsed on to his old couch where he had been spending his time cursing himself.

"I don't want to fight, Toota.  Please leave.  You don't have to worry about me."

There was a painful silence between them.

"I lied to you."

*******************************

2009

Toota stared at Bright, speechless.  He had never thought Bright had a breaking point.  It was hard to imagine a person like Bright would be upset over a simple matter.  He could feel all eyes on him.  This wasn't going to help with the rumors of how 'dangerous' he was.

What had bothered Toota most was Bright's reaction.  He had said many mean things to Bright that hadn't phased him in the slightest.  Maybe under the surface, Bright did care what people thought of him.  He had gotten upset about being called the school gossip.  Bright was right.  He had indeed judged Bright by his cheerful persona.

Toota hadn't wanted to admit it, but there was something about Bright that intrigued him at the same time.  Bright was everything he tried hard not to be. Toota himself hadn't been much different before his life was ruined.  He blamed everyone for sucking the life out of him.  Society, his father, even the people who swore to love him through thick and thin.

Bright didn't deserve his treatment.  He didn't want to be cruel enough to be hated by someone as friendly as Bright.  He would definitely regret his decision.  But he decided to talk to Bright anyway.

******************************

[Let me make it up for you. If you are hungry come to the restaurant I work at.]

Bright read the text a couple of times.  So now Toota wanted to talk?  Bright contemplated on the request.  Was free food worth his pride?

It definitely was.

When bright had gotten to the restaurant, it was fairly empty.  He looked around for Toota and sent a quick message when he couldn't find him.

Toota hurried towards him.

"Hey sorry, I work in the kitchen.  Why don't you take a seat?  I will ask the chef to prepare something for you."

"Ai Toota wait, when do you get off work?"

"When we close, can you hang around until then?"

Judging by the food that was given to him, he knew Toota might have been feeling more guilty than necessary.

Finally, Toota took the empty seat in front of him.

"Are we the only people in this place right now?" Bright asked.

"Yeah, I have to lock up after everyone leaves.  Listen Bright, I'm sorry I was a jerk to you when you were only trying to be nice."

"If I throw another tantrum again will you treat me like today?"

Toota rolled his eyes

"Bright..."

"Just checking, it's alright, I shouldn't have bothered you.  I'm sorry too."

Toota nodded in acknowledgment.

"Isn't it getting late?  Do you live far?  How are you getting home?" asked Bright.

Toota shifted uncomfortably on his seat.

"I live here."

"What?  Here?" Bright asked surprised. "Is this restaurant yours?"

Toota chuckled replying.

"God no!  I just sleep here. There is a room at the back."

"I don't understand."

"Come with me." Toota lead Bright through the restaurant kitchen to a small room that looked like a supplies closet.  In one corner there was a small pile of books and a travel bag.

"You wanted to see where I lived, well this is it."

"What about your family?"

"This is enough for today Bright. I'm exhausted."

"I heard you went to this elite high school.  I don't get it.  How did you end up here? "

"So you have been talking about me huh?"

"Don't ignore the question Toota. You said you were going to make it up to me."

"I thought I already had by offering you the best in the menu," Toota said in a teasing voice.

"That's not fair!"

"Ok, you want to know why I got kicked out?  Because I punched a teacher.  I told you the rumors could be true. Happy?"

"Did you really?  I didn't think you were the violent kind. Why?"

"He asked me to blow him," Toota replied simply.  "He threatened to hurt someone I cared about if I didn't."

"Why would you get kicked out for that?"

"It was my word against a teacher's.  Who do you think the school believed?"

"That still doesn't explain why you are here."

"If you drop it now maybe one day I will tell you."

Bright looked at Toota and replied in the most serious tone he could manage.

"No matter what your story is, I will always be your friend.  You can trust me, I promise."

Toota smiled at him.

"Don't make promises you don't know if you can keep my friend.  Anyway, you should get going it's late."

Bright nodded, turning to leave.

"What happened to you wasn't fair.  I'm not going to let you face any more prejudice.  Don't think I'm done with you, Ai Toota."

"Hey, Bright," Toota called as Bright left the door.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you."

"For?"

"Being my friend."