Chapter 1: Battle

Chapter 1: Battle 

I heard screams everywhere. The air was dusty, making it hard to see. The sky was full of brown clouds. There were no stars. No moon. No happiness.

The dirt was sandy and dusty, with the occasional grass sticking out. The grass was dead, but it was still grass. I saw a vampire biting one of my fellow witches. Tears wanted to spill out of my eyes and onto my face, but I blinked them back, not allowing it. For this was a fight.

I looked around. I didn't want to hurt anyone. Not a vampire or a wizard. I was unwilling to. As I was looking around, all I could see was blue flashes, red flashes, orange flashes, and blood.

Why? I didn't get the point anymore. My Dad wouldn't tell me how the war between the two races started, and my mom had promised to in the morning. Yet, in the morning, she never woke up.

She had been killed, murdered. My dad knew what he looked like, too. I'm pretty sure he knew his name and everything. But he would always tell me no. He would always say that I was too young and one day, I would know. This day had not yet come.

Someone smashed into me, knocking the wind out of me. I hit the sandy dirt, and my head was just inches away from a rock. I squirmed, but who ever had me was holding me tight. I managed to squirm enough so that I was on my back and I could see the person's face.

It was my brother. He had short brown hair and blue eyes, just like me. But his hair was shorter than mine. My hair was still pretty short, but just short for a girl. It was very curly, too. Just like my mom. I looked at my hair, the curls covered in dust.

My brother's name was Drake. He was so protective of me, and very, very strong. A little headstrong, too.

There was a cut on his face. It was sort of a scary cut. But it was just a scrape. Nothing caused by a vampire. Probably him just being clumsy. I smiled at him, and his jaw clenched.

"What?" I said. Yet, I felt stupid that I asked the question, for, another scream pierced through the large crowd of wizards and vampires.

"You are being reckless. Were in the middle of a battle, and your looking around like a cow in a field." He said. His voice was hard and serious.

"Gee. Sorry." I said my voice full of sarcasm.

"I know you say 'Gee,' a lot, but this really isn't the time." He said.

"Fine." I said, my voice glum. I pushed him off of me and rubbed my eyes. When I got up, he was gone.

What I do now, I thought to myself. What do I do now? I looked around again, this time looking for my opponent.

I saw a vampire with dirty blonde hair attacking my brother. I ran closer to them for better aim. I searched my head for my plan.

First, I was going to knock him away from my brother. Then, I was going to get him to the ground, preferably on his back. Then I would put my foot on his chest and shoot blue sparks, disorienting him a little. Lastly, get him back up with magic, and shoot him in the direction of a rock, pray that he hit something hard. Then run.

I brought my hand up, my palm facing my brother and the vampire, who was showing his fangs and getting ready to bite Drake. My heart rate picked up. This was for real.

Red sparks shot out of my hand and hit both Drake and the vampire. The vampire was knocked to the ground, while Drake just stumbled a little. I ran over to the vampire, and was relieved when I saw him on his back. I put my foot on his chest to keep him still.

I did the same thing with my hand as before, this time pointing my palm at his stomach, and shot out blue sparks. When the sparks hit his marble body, he made a grunting noise.