Dream 2: Demons Of The Elements

The Roaring Fire and the Tranquil Earth

I know I won't last much longer. I have to eat. I have to sate this burning thirst of mine that threatens to envelop my entire being.

I have to kill.

I am on the verge of death, near the border of pure insanity.

I may be a demon, but in truth I don't want to kill. In fact I hate killing. I hate that dark desire that pumps thick through my veins, the need, the want to devour another. I don't want to kill innocent people, people with dreams, family and the desire to live. But contrary to my inner conflict, such was nature. If I don't eat soon, I will most certainly die. And die I cannot, not if the balance among the Four Elementals were to remain intact.

And so I trudge through the dense forest, with whatever strength I have left, waiting for any potential prey to pass by. Both fortunately and unfortunately I wasn't waiting long before a human stumbles along my path.

Staying close to the shadows, I hobble over to the young man, of whom was oblivious to my presence. I wear the skin of a young helpless woman, knowing that he will feel the need to help in some way. I will not be able to keep this disguise up for much longer, as it is the skin is itchy and uncomfortable, making me restless.

Twigs snap and leaves crumble beneath my feet, alerting the man of my entrance. Long hair whips around as he swivels in my direction, blue eyes peering through the shadows that I cloak myself in as his hands instinctively move to the sword on his hip.

A look of surprise flashes across his face as he registers that I am not an animal or bandit. "What are you doing in these woods at this time of night, milady?" he asks, concerned and unsure. Entirely oblivious of my true monstrous nature.

I look into those clueless blue eyes and memorise every feature, implanting the face of my next victim to my memory.

As I walk closer, I stumble my knees giving way from a sudden wash of intense fatigue. The young man catches me before I fall and gently brings me back to my feet.

"I am sorry," I mutter under my breath, lips trembling as tears pool in the corners of my eyes. "Sorry, what did you say?" he asks, his voice taking on a worried tone.

"I am sorry," I whisper a bit louder this time, my nails lengthening and sharpening to claws. I can feel my canines lengthening and sharpening to blades, I can feel my fire-tipped tail rip free and my large horns erupt from my forehead. Flames lick up my arm and around my body as I rip off that annoying skin.

I see the horrified and shocked look on his face, as he remains paralysed to the spot. "I am sorry," I say once more, flaming tears falling from my eyes as I slash open his throat with my claws.

He looks at me in shock and realisation, before falling to the ground, dead. Blood trickles down my hand and drops silently to the ground.

I drop to my knees next to the lifeless body, burying my face in my hands as tears roll down my cheeks. "I am truly sorry."

I lift my head looking into the pool of blood that steadily grows from his cooling body. Staring back at me was the Demon of Fire, a demon who kills lives of the innocent to play nature's role. Bright fire-like eyes in an angular face, flaming hair spilling over golden shoulders and curled bronze horns are the features that bring fear into the hearts of many.

With a sigh, I reach my hand over his face and close his distant eyes that will forever sear my memory. Placing a hand over his chest, I position my hand with claws outstretched. Taking in a deep breath, I plunge my claws through skin and muscle. Pulling my gore covered hand out, I hold onto my prize and my meal.