Chapter 3

Hey babes!!!!!!!! Guess who isn't going to put the book on hold!!?!?!!! It's me in case you were wondering. The only downside to not putting it on hold is that my updates will probably be SUPER slow. Between school, riding, and other activities, I just don't have that much time to write. This isn't my profession, so I am writing at a hobbyist's speed.

I continue about my daily work with one thing on my mind - him. No matter how much distance I get from him, I can't seem to shake the feeling of wanting to strangle him. And kiss him. And slap him across that face and ruin that smug little smirk that he always seems to wear. Why does he have to be so close? Why did he have to do this to me? Doesn't he realize the effect that he has on me? I can't think around him. My mind is too clouded by feelings that I used to have. The fluttering of butterflies in my stomach when we first started going out. The content feeling of warmth and love coming from feeling secure with someone. The heartbreak when they turn around and stab you in the back.
I blink away the tears of heartbreak that I've kept pent up since I met Dillian. He was there for me when Jayce wasn't.
I'll admit, yes, I'm still a little hung up on Jayce. He was like an adventure. He was always so outgoing and always kept me on my toes. You never knew what he had planned, and that's what I loved about him. With Dillian, I relish in the security of knowing that he loves me and I love him.
I shake my head and throw another hay bale onto my growing pile in the shed. My breath hitches when a hand is suddenly placed on the small of my back. "Need some help there?" I breath a sigh of relief as I hear Dillian's strong, reassuring voice reach my ears.
"Yeah, actually, I'd appreciate some help." I say back unwaveringly.
"Are you okay? You've seemed a little distant and off since this morning," he says as he picks up a bale and tosses it onto the pile.
"I just wasn't expecting guests," I say contemplating whether or not to tell him the truth.
"Is it Jayce? Is that what threw you off?" The detective figured it out.
I sigh and nod, "I just can't be around him. You know how badly he hurt me. Especially with everything we're going through with the barn right now. I can't afford any more stress."
I look up to see a hurt expression on Dillian's face. "I can tell him to leave if you'd like."
"We need help around here, Dillian. You know that. I can get over it and figure out how to work around him," yeah, that's what I'll do, I mentally reassure myself.
"Okay, just be careful. You've got too much on your plate to be worrying about him too. Just stay away from him, babe," he leans down and gives me a soft, loving kiss before throwing the last bale onto the pile and walking back towards the office.
—————
I walk Taboo down the aisle into the grooming area. I hook her up to the cross ties and head back down the aisle to grab Tempest or as the show ring announcers know him, Raging Storm. He is one of the horses that I bought as a foundation for my own riding program. He is a tall, handsome bay OTTB gelding that I discovered has a lot of potential as an eventer. He loves to jump and couldn't be happier to give his all. I tie him up and begin to groom and tack up both horses.
Once they're all tacked up minus the bridle, I grab Taboo and take her to the arena with a lung line clipped to her halter. I follow the same pattern. Walk, trot, turn, repeat. Until Taboo is thoroughly warmed up.
Once I slip on a bridle, I hop on and we begin our warm up jumps. Taboo is one of my main money-earners when it comes to competing. We've been there for each other through everything, so I like to think that we are such a good team because we know each other so well. She knows everything about me and I know everything about her.
When I feel that Taboo is ready to take on full height jumps, I walk over to the gate and we go outside where the full jumping course is set up. We are currently working on doing tight turns into combinations. Speed is my specialty, so I am trying to work on slowing myself down and really looking at a clear round rather than a speedy one. I keep my eyes on the jumps in front of me and count strides in my head. One, two, three, four, five, six, up, over. Taboo throws her head up in protest to my slow pace. After finishing the course, I take Taboo over to the straight race track to let her run so that she doesn't get burnt out on jumping before her first show of the season.
I push Taboo up into a full gallop and holler into the wind. The breeze slaps my face viciously and Taboo's mane tosses around as she tears into the ground. I slowly lower my reins before dropping them completely and putting my arms out to my side like an eagle spreading its wings. I close my eyes and, at this point, my happiness is probably radiating off of me. Reality hits me like a truck when Taboo comes to an abrupt stop and I fly over her head and end up with my butt on the muddy ground. I look up to see what caused her to act like this, and realized that we had simply come to the end of the track. I rub my eyes and hop back on for the ride back up to the barn.
We take it at a nice and easy walk as an attempt of cooling down.
When we reach the barn door, I dismount and lead Taboo to the cross ties where I begin untacking her. I give her a quick rinse and take her back to her stall before hopping onto Tempest and hoping for the best.
——
Welp. There ya go. Chapter 3! Hope it was good! Remember that I am always open to constructive criticism and feedback! I need you guys to keep this going. Thanks for all the reads! XOXO - Affinity