Chapter 4: Injustice

I sat on my bed crying with my knees to my chest. To be honest I don’t know why I was crying. For one I wasn’t the one who was beaten to a pulp that was Clarissa. It was official. Mrs. Stacey was crazy. Insane would be a better word to describe her. I mean who beats their clone because they don’t tell anyone their taking a break. I found it to be a very stupid reason. There had to be more to it. Any normal person wouldn’t beat someone that horribly for such a silly reason. I was so frightened. I didn’t know what to do at all. Part of me wanted to go check on Clarissa and see if she was ok but I don’t think I could handle seeing her like that. Still I needed to get out of here. If I stay here any longer I might go insane myself! 

I crept out of my bed and opened the door as quietly as I could. Then I slipped out the room and tiptoed in the direction of Mrs. Stacey’s room. Her door was closed and I could hear the sounds of a TV in there. Good. She was in her room. I crept over to the top of the stairs and listened. I could hear Clarissa cleaning up down stairs. I remembered the furniture that was crooked and the pieces of glass from a shattered lamp. Most of all the blood. I couldn’t get the image of blood and the sound of Clarissa’s cries out of my head. Yup. I definitely needed to get out of here. I don’t think I could stand facing Clarissa though. How was I supposed to get out of the house? The only way was through the front door and that would mean I would have to pass Clarissa. Suddenly an idea sparked in my head.

I made my way back to the room Harper and I were forced to share. I walked over to the window and unlocked it before opening it. I glanced quickly behind me before I shoved my legs out the window until I was standing on the mini terrace. I’d actually forgotten the Stacey’s had a terrace at every window that was on the second floor. Even the bathroom! I looked down at the ground before and I got a little sick. Ok I guess heights weren’t my thing. I took a deep breath before deciding the safest path down. Conveniently there was a weird gate thingy with vines growing on it on the side of the house. I used that to climb most of the way down and jumped the last two feet. Wow, that wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I quietly and sneakily made my way to the front of the house and ran next door. I hurried up the front steps before I could psych myself out.

Gosh I can’t believe I’m about to do this. I pressed the doorbell and waited. Surprisingly a robot opened the door. It was a steel grey metal with dents in its face for a pair of eyes and a nose. Instead of a mouth it had a rectangle piece with blue lines that wiggled every time it spoke. To be honest it reminded me of this story I read about; The Wizard of Oz. In the story there was this tin can looking man. The robot resembled the tin man. Apparently The Wizard of Oz was very old but I found that I liked old things. The culture in the past was so rich and interesting. Nowadays humans were pure laziness.

“Greetings clone. May I ask who you’re here to see?” the robot greeted in nothing but a robotic, artificial voice.

“Sebastian Downings.” I replied. I was slightly crept out about the fact it knew I was a clone. My mark was a very noticeable one. Then again it was a robot. It probably had some weird eye scanning thing that could identify humans, clones, etc. 

“One moment please.” The robot stated. There was a bunch of beeping and whirring noises coming from its head before it spoke again. “Sebastian will be with you in a moment.”

Then without another word the robot walked off into the house. I waited nervously until Sebastian came. He came down the stairs with a smirk.

“Hey Welsh. Miss me already?” Sebastian teased.

 I had my head down and lifted it up to meet his eyes. His smirk turned into a look of worry.

“I needed someone to talk to and. . .” I trailed off in a soft voice.