Chapter Twenty

Dani smiled at the familiar faces of the nurses at Saint John's hospital. They were the same nurses she'd been greeting and bidding farewell to for the past few weeks.

"You're here later than usual," Deidre, one of the nurses said.

"I had an art class," Dani admitted. She pointed to Oliver's room, "Any changes?"

"No, I'm sorry. Dolores was here earlier. She thought for sure that he'd be waking up today."

"We're hoping for it every day," Dani admitted.

She waved goodbye to Deidre before stepping inside Oliver's room. She shuddered after seeing him connected to the machines in the hospital room. It never got easier for her to see. She pulled over the only chair that was in the hospital room and leaned over his bed, "Hi Oliver."

He had recently been shaved. Dani figured it must have been done by Dolores. She whispered Oliver's name several time before sitting back in her seat with a sigh of resignation, "I wish you were awake, Oliver. I have some exciting news for you but it's a secret."

She imagined he would be excited to know what kind of news she was keeping from him.

"I went to the pharmacy early this morning. You're probably wondering why. I would tell you but I think I need to tell Jax first. I should tell him first. If you wake up for me, I'll tell you."

When he continued to lie in his hospital bed, she poked his arm with her finger, "You're missing out. This secret is really good. I promise you're really going to want to know what it is."

She pulled out her phone and brought up her image gallery, "Okay fine. I'll tell you my secret but you have to promise not to tell Jax."

She flipped her phone around and faced the image towards him.

"That's right. I'm totally pregnant and I wish you would wake up so that you could enjoy this moment with us. You know you're like a father to me. You're my dad. Of all the people in my life, you've always been the one who's been there for me."

Dani wiped the tears that began forming at the corner of her eyes, "What am I supposed to do without you? Do you know how hard it is to be at the diner and not see you singing along to Heartbreak Hotel? You're supposed to be able to see your grandchildren, Oliver. You deserve to see your grandson. That's who my baby would be. He'd be your grandson. Don't...don't you want to see your grandson? We could dress him like a baby Elvis. Or if we had a girl, we could dress her like a princess or something. Please...just wake up. I want you to be there when my baby is born."

She laid her head down on the bed and covered it with her arms, her sobs muffled into Oliver's side.

~~~

Jax stood in the doorway of Oliver's hospital room. He had decided to visit Oliver while he was passing the hospital. He saw his wife and was about to surprise her when he heard her secret.

Dani was pregnant.

He felt like a helium balloon floating into the air filled with happiness of her news. When she began crying, he couldn't help himself. He slowly whispered her name and walked forward. He gently placed a hand on her shoulder. She jumped and stared at him, her dark eyes wide and pink from crying. Her cheeks were stained with her tears and he leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"I love you, Dani."

He wrapped his arms around her and crouched down so that he was on level with her, "You're pregnant?"

She used the back of her hands to wipe at her face, "Y-you heard me?"

He wiped her cheeks with his thumbs, "I'm always around when you need me. I'll always be around for the important stuff."

"I didn't want you to find out like this."

"Are you really pregnant?"

She nodded, "I took a pregnancy test this morning."

"Before you went to the art class?"

"Yeah, I wanted to surprise you."

She pulled him close, "Are you happy?"

"Of course I am. I love you, Panda Eyes. I'm going to love our babies too."

She gave him a weak smile, "I just wish Oliver could celebrate with us."

"He will."

"I don't want to tell anyone until he wakes up."

Jax understood it was her way of getting him to agree that he believed Oliver would be waking up soon. He gave her a quick squeeze and agreed, "Of course we shouldn't. We should have you seen by a doctor."

"I know."

"Are you worried about what your mother said?"

She shook her head, "No, not really. You and I have been through too much for me to worry about some kind of dream phantom. There are people in real life that are scarier."

Jax frowned, "Did you meet someone scary?"

She placed her palm on his cheek, "I did but let's wait until we get home to talk about it. I don't think I'll keep going to those art classes."

"Did you not sign up?" he asked.

"I did but I've changed my mind."

"You're having my baby so I won't complain about you wasting money."

"You can afford it," she smiled.

"Did you want to wait here for a bit longer?" he glanced at Oliver's sleeping figure.

"No," Dani whispered. "I think he knows that I'm waiting for him to wake up." Despite her aversion to physical contact, she kissed Oliver's forehead. Jax grabbed her hand and intertwined his fingers with his. They walked out of the hospital room and down the corridor, making plans of how to decorate a baby room.

~~~

Nurse Deidre watched the young couple as they wandered down the hall. Her mouth twisted into a snarl as she removed the name tag on her uniform and walked in the opposite direction. She entered the women's restroom and made sure she was alone. Once she was sure no one else was in the bathroom, she locked the door and walked to the large bathroom mirror.

"Asibikaashi," she said loudly. "Asibikaashi, it's me."

An image of the keeper of dreams appeared in place of Deidre's reflection.

"While I was watching the sleeping man, she visited. I have important news to share with you."

"What did you learn?" Asibikaashi asked.

Deidre went cold with fear but she was obligated to tell Asibikaashi. If Asibikaashi discovered at a later date that Deidre had kept this news a secret, she would be in danger.

"Well?" Asibikaashi wanted Deidre to share her news.

Deidre didn't wait any longer. She opened her mouth and revealed her news.

"She is pregnant."