Chapter 12: Wrapping Up

I was blown up into the air, higher and higher and higher. I thought I would be going up forever, but then I started to fall.

I fell faster and faster, and probably would've died had Ava not caught me.

Wait- Ava?

"Ava!" I said. 'You saved me!"

"Don't thank me yet." she said.

And then we landed. I fell to my knees, but an invisible hand reached out and picked me back up. The hand turned solid, and I smiled.

"Cam! You're here, too?" I asked, hugging her.

"Yeah. We saw Damien take your boyfriend, and we decided to follow him and hide around here. Then, we waited until you showed up, and now here you are, and here we are." Cam said, smiling.

"That's great. Where are Max and Kat?" I asked.

"Right over there."

I turned, and saw Max, Kat, and also Marie engaged in battle with Damien's goon squad. Max was running circles around them until they were encased in tornadoes, and when the tornadoes were released Marie would knock them out and absorb their powers. Meanwhile, Kat went intangible whenever someone tried to hit her, then struck back normally.

My friends were doing great, but where was Damien?

I looked around and saw him, with Dylan, standing on the front porch of our house.

"Hello, brother." I drawled.

"Try to hit me and your precious boyfriend gets it." Damien said.

"Come on, Ember! Hit him! You can do it!" Dylan cheered.

"Quiet, Dolphin Boy." I snapped.

"Yeah, shut up, Dolphin Boy." Damien said in a mocking tone.

"Don't call him that! Nobody calls him Dolphin Boy but me!" I yelled.

Then, I aimed a blast of fire at the front of my house.

It struck right where I wanted it to, sending the roof of the porch crashing down on Dylan and Damien.

Oh no...what had I done? Had I killed them both?

Suddenly, an explosive blast fired out of the debris. Damien stood to his feet, but Dylan was nowhere to be seen.

I searched frantically. Where was he?

And then I saw him. He was lying on the ground behind Damien, only beginning to regain consciousness.

"Haha! You can't beat me! I am Damien the Great! Damien the Invincible! There is no force on Earth that can-"

His bragging was stopped short by a dolphin falling out of the sky and striking him in the head. He dropped like a stone, and Dylan stood, triumphant.

"Maybe not on Earth,Damien. But perhaps you can be stopped by something from the water..." he said, smiling.

I looked around me. All the fighting had stopped. Everyone was staring at Dylan.

And then I ran toward him.

"You did it!" I cried, throwing my arms around him.

"We did it." he said, running his hands through my hair.

Then, he kissed me.

We must have stayed in that position for about a minute. Then, we broke apart, and my friends cheered.

"Aww! They're gonna be together forever, I know it." Kat said.

"Maybe not forever..." Dylan said. "But definitely a good long time. Right, Ember?"

"Right."

We kissed again, and there was even more cheering.

When we broke apart that time, I turned to Damien's goon squad.

"We have defeated you for all time!" I told them. "You will never rise from the ashes of your shame and humiliation!"

Everyone looked at me strangely.

"What? I've always wanted to say that!" I said.

"So...now what?" Ava asked.

"I...I don't know." I replied.

"Victory is boring."