Chapter 18

We searched and searched calling out to Meral through conveying and yelling, but we didn't find her.

"Where could she be?" I called out. "We've been searching for almost an hour!" Ashley yelled. "Meral!" We ran to where she was. Meral was in a trap. "Oh, Meral. Come here." I said as I released her. She jumped into my arms. She had scratches on her legs and body. She was whimpering. "Come on. Let's go back to the castle. The pavilion!" I said with sudden realization that we had to be in the pavilion.

Ashley and Sophia looked at each other and we all mounted, carrying out pets with one arm and raced towards the castle. We entered the pavilion just in time to hear the end of Queen Amia's speech.

"Whew." We're not that late. We sat down. I asked a maid to bring a first aid kit. She came a few minutes later and I started to wash and put medicine on her wounds. I also bandaged her cuts. "It's gonna be okay, Meral." I said as Meral continued to whine.

"Esther!" Queen Amia called out. People started clapping. "What?" I asked. I was busy cleaning Meral's wounds, that I wasn't listening. "You're the new princess. Or at least you will be." Ashley said and she and Sophia shared a wink.

I stood there standing with my mouth open. "Come over here Esther." King Altri said. I walked past the other girls with Meral still in my arms. "Am I really the one Andrew picked?" I asked quietly to the king and queen. "Yes." Queen Amia whispered back.

"Here is your future princess." King Altri announced. The audience clapped and I smiled back. Andrew wasn't here. Thank goodness. I don't know what would've happened if he was. "For all the girls here, you have a choice to stay here and work for the better of the kingdom, or you can go home. Your choice. If you want to stay here, you'll be staying at the dormitory. Please confirm your decisions by tomorrow morning. You are all dismissed." Queen Amia announced.

All the girls talked excitedly as they made their way back to the castle. All except Lenia. She glared at me with eyes full of hatred as she walked back to the castle. Ashley and Sophia ran up to me and hugged me. "I'm guessing you both knew." I said to them as we pulled away. "Well," Ashley said looking upward. "No wonder." I said rolling my eyes.

"Let's have a special dinner, shall we?" King Altri suggested. "Sure." We said excitedly. "Then I suggest you girls get ready." Queen Amia said. We curtsied then ran to the castle. I still had Meral in my arms. I placed her into the bed and let her rest. "Come on. Hurry." We showered then changed into medieval gowns. "Where are we supposed to eat the special dinner?" Ashley asked. "Dining hall?" Sophia suggested. I just shrugged my shoulders as I sat down beside Meral.

Meral? How did you get into the trap? I conveyed to her. Well, I had to go. Really bad. So I bounded into the forest. I tinkled then when I ran back, I got trapped. It was too painful to cry out, so I just waited. I tried conveying, but I couldn't reach anyone. Thankfully Ashley found me.

I see. I replied.

Is it okay if you stay here and rest? You need to rest. I asked her. She nodded. "Alright. Let's go." I told Ashley and Sophia. They nodded. Sasha and Ruby went over to Meral and curled up beside her. "They're staying." Sophia said.

And so we went downstairs.