Chapter 1(still editing always)

Chapter One: 

                       "Even Miracles take a little time"

- Fairy godmother, cinderella 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I blinked briefly to avoid my tears threatening to escape.

The only thing in front of me being the mirror as I admired the dark shade of red hair that I had inherited from him. The bottom strands just having grown back and flowing down to my waist.

My grey pupils were barely noticeable under the dark bags I had , I parted my mouth and let out a small sigh realizing how pale my skin still was. 

I was never tan or had glowing skin or anything like that, but I was still too pale, with small freckles all along my body which was thankfully covered in a thick oversized, seaweed colored sweater. 

"Adeline!" The voice was in it's now usual shriek and close enough to where it echoed through the room, making me roll my eyes in annoyance. My head turned to the hallway through my open bedroom door, to where she stood.

"Yes mother?" I smiled briefly turning back to my reflection, glaring at it and slowly, frowning when my mother's shadowed appearance was next to mine in the glass.

She was absolutely stunning. Even when she was wearing her weekend sweatpants and a simple tee shirt. Her body was an hourglass figure and her hair was cut short and loose, unlike mine, her hair was a dirty blonde and her eyes were a shimmery blue, I obviously had the more depressing features..

 She smiled at me "Dinner's ready, clean up and come to the kitchen to eat." she began to approach me and grab my shoulders from behind.

" Honey, why are you wearing your old beat up, green sweater when I bought you that nice, new, red silk one?" She looked at me like I was a homeless person begging for her money--in other words, she never looked at me like I was her daughter. At least not anymore.

"It was Dad's" I muttered; pushing her hands off me.

"You really need to stop muttering and speak up." She wasn't annoyed when she spoke but I knew better then to have her repeat herself.

"It was nothing" I let out a sigh " I was just humming to myself," I continued lying effortlessly regardless, not that she would care.

"Mm-hmm.... Anyway, Bruce wanted to know if you were coming to the winter cabin with us next month. He'd really like to get to know you a little more." It went quite for about five minutes. When I didn't reply, she let out an obnoxious cough, speaking up again, "you don't have to give me your answer now. Just think about it."

I nodded as she stepped out.

My answer was obviously a huge f!ck no.

Bruce was my mother's new husband. She had known him before she met my father. They were high school sweethearts who got back in touch three months ago, and after their first three dates, they were engaged. Seems a little fast, I'm aware. We were all aware. But when my dad died, she needed comfort from someone.

We both did.

At least one of us found it. Bruce was also a father to Cha-

"Hey Ade, I'm going on a run. If Sarah comes by, can you tell her she can wait in my room? Thanks, you're the best!" I heard footsteps pounding on the wood floors and then the front door opening and slamming shut.