Prologue

"Papá?" I groan, placing my left arm on my head in an attempt to subside my pounding headache. "What? What happened?"

My eyes were burning causing tears to blur my vision, the dim flickering headlights being the only source of light in the surrounding darkness. Small shards of glass prickled up against my skin and tangled in my hair.

The headboard was adorned with more glass and what seemed to be blood. It was quiet around with only the occasional ticking sounds the car would let off every couple seconds.

"Mars?" I call out once more in attempts to see if everyone was fine, yet no response.

I sit up straight hissing as pain shoots through my right arm, in instinct I grab my arm only to feel a sharp burn at contact and hot liquid; blood.

Deep breaths, just breathe.

"Addete?"

"Mars? Are you okay?" My voice cracks half way, a rush of relief filling me to know that he was fine.

"Yeah, I just feel like shit," he chuckles lowly. "I think I busted my lip."

I laugh, my head resting upwards. "Had me worried there for a minute."

"Is your dad fine?" He asks leaning forward from the back seat.

I shift myself towards my father, whipping away the tears from my eyes to see a bit clearer. His head was resting on the side of the window, blood streaks down his nose and from his forehead.

"Papá?" I raise my eyebrows, tilting my head slightly to the right in wait for a response.

"Papá come on," I speak, leaning forwards grabbing his shoulder to shake him.

His body felt stiff the moment I tried to move him. His chest wasn't rising, and the window had no signs of fogging against the hot air of his nose.

"Fuck." I whisper, my breath shaking knowing it wasn't a good sign. I grab his wrist looking for a pulse, none.

Deep breaths, just breathe.