chapter five

I swiftly shot up from where I was lying.

"Where the hell am I?" I mumbled to myself

I walked around while scanning the room for anything that looked slightly familiar. As I roamed the room, I saw a small picture in a frame that was on a shelf. It looked like an old picture of Carl, Rick, and some other women I presumed to be Carl's mom. Carl had told me stories about her and about what happened to her. I begin to call out names in case someone was home so they can explain to me why I woke up on their couch when I fell asleep on the stairs. At least, I think I did.

"Carl?! Rick?! Michonne?!"

No one answered. I shrugged my shoulders and walked out of the front door. I walked down the sidewalk towards my house.

"What do you mean dead? Reagan can't be dead. No, he's not. Dempsey, where's Patrick?"

But Dempsey did not answer. He just sat in silence as tears rolled down his cheeks. His eyes were focused on the picture of a happy, smiling Reagan that was hanging on the wall behind me.

"Dempsey? Dempsey, answer me damn it! Where the hell is Patrick?"

He opened his mouth, but all that came out was a quiet squeak. I stormed out the front door and left it wide open. I practically sprinted to the gate where almost everyone was standing. They formed a small crowd. I heard faint cries and gasps.

"Where is he?!"

I screamed as loud as I could. Everyone turned their heads, and all I could see was faces full of sorrow and grief.

"Is anyone going to answer me, or am I going to have to find him myself?!"

Patrick stepped forward out of the crowd that now surrounded me.

"Lola, we never saw it coming. We fought, but there were more of them than there were of us. I'm so sorry."

Walkers. I thought the 'them' was Walkers, but it was his men. His men killed Reagan. His men tortured him. His men held him captive as he died a slow, painful death, and I did nothing. I did nothing because I thought he was gone. I thought that the Walkers had took him from me, but how I was so wrong about that. I thought that there was nothing that I could do, but there was. But, I did nothing.

I closed my eyes tightly for a few seconds before opening them again. I looked over to see that I was just now passing my house. I quickly turned around and began to walk up the stairs of my porch before I heard a noise.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

"Little pigs! Little pigs! Let me in!"