Chapter 1: Who She Is

This is Ara Shion shown above :) 

"The park is beautiful, don't you think? Ara? Are you with me?"

Ara Shion looked back at Dory, her best friend. She had been talking for a while, although Ara had no idea what she was saying. She had been distracted, as usual, by the light, as it played off of the rustling leaves, as well as by the small wind currents across her skin. Her mind was so overwhelmed by all of these senses that she had barely paid poor Dory any attention. Ara had to make it up to her somehow.

"I apologize for not listening- I-"

"Don't give me the classic Ara excuse of 'Oh, I was distracted'. You could at least warn me before it happens, so that I know when to shut up." Her words were stern, but she had said them before many times. 

Ara nodded. It was Dory's classic line when Ara forgot to give Dory her attention. It was a comfortable phrase, and meant that Dory forgave her as usual.

"I'm sorry, what did you say right beforehand?"

Dory used to sigh when forced to repeat herself to Ara, but no longer. "I said, isn't the park beautiful?"

Ara tried to view the park with just her eyes. "I suppose it is."

"You suppose? Typical Ara answer." Dory noticed Ara starting to begin one of her overwhelmed periods. "Here, let's sit down on this bench for a minute," she suggested. Ara nodded gratefully. When outside, she became overwhelmed by the sound, sights, and others around her. 

Sitting down helped. Ara smiled. "Thank you, Dory." 

Dory laughed. "I can't enjoy myself if my best friend is covering her ears and squinting at the world! Let's just relax for a bit. Oh, and I've been meaning to ask you for a while now- how are you doing with that charming boyfriend of yours?"

"I had to break up with him. He wanted sex, and I wasn't ready. I never am, I guess. I just can't get rid of the expectations."  She hung her head. This had happened in every one of her relationships. She would find an awesome person, become friends, date, and then the partner, either male or female, would ultimately ask to have sex with her. Some tried to force her, and some walked away. The result was the same each time, though. She hated herself for failing the others in her relationships. 

Ara looked at Dory, who was typing something into Google Search. 

"There! Doesn't this (she waved the phone in Ara's face) match what trouble you've been having?" She beamed brightly, happy that she had found an explanation for Ara's uncommon behavior.

Ara peered closely at the screen. She gasped. "That's it! Thank you, Dory!"

The screen said:

Asexual: Definition

  An asexual person ("ace", for short) is simply someone who does not experience sexual attraction. That's all there is to it. Aces can be any sex or gender or age or ethnic background or body type, can be rich or poor, can wear any clothing style, and can be any religion or political affiliation. 

Dory grinned with satisfaction, knowing that her job was complete. She had been working on helping out Ara with her sexual orientation since Ara had confessed that she liked a girl, but still had the ability to like guys. Dory then confidently told her that she must be bisexual. But, something about Ara's relationships had always seemed... different. Now the puzzle was solved.

Ara looked elated, then confused. Dory waited patiently for a forthcoming question.

"If I'm asexual, why did I love the people that I dated?"