Chapter Twenty-Two - Ruffian's Pass

Lilia had insisted on having the guests join her for breakfast in her private dining room. It was something nobody could think of an excuse to escape so all six attended, uncomfortable and out of place in Harian fashions.

 The dining room was a beautiful space with high windows letting the morning light pour in and frosted yellow walls. Flowering trees bloomed in the corners, making it feel as if you were in a garden when you forgot about the high, blue roof.

“How long are you staying?” Lilia asked. “I would love to have your company for longer.”

“I’m afraid we leave today,” Nicanor apologised, with elegant manners. “We must head north.”

“North!” Lilia’s blue eyes opened wide. “Oh, why must you go north? You’ll get hurt!”

“Not to mention killed,” Zeno muttered, stabbing viciously at a pastry.

Maple shot him an angry look. Zeno seemed in a black mood this morning but that was no excuse for rudeness to Lilia, who didn’t seem to understand the concept at all.

“I…I don’t want any of you wounded,” Lilia looked as if she might cry. “Maple, Ane, Peppermint…you’re my friends. And Tobiah…”

She broke off with a blush and Maple held her breath, almost praying that Tobiah would handle the situation well, that he was having a good day.

“We’ll be fine,” Tobiah reassured her, gently. “You’re looking at some of the most highly-trained youths in Merdia. Damage is unlikely.”

“But why, Tobiah?” Lilia seemed to sob. “Why?”

Maple stared at her, unable to believe that somebody could be so emotionally fragile.

“There is business to address in the north,” Tobiah said, gently but distantly. “If all goes well, I intend to visit on the return trip.”

“Oh, wonderful!” Lilia brightened immediately. “I shall arrange the perfect welcome!”

“It’s not set in stone,” Maple warned. “There are complications with this trip.”

But Lilia seemed happy to bubble away, eating fruit and describing future parties and all the possibilities for four young ladies who were best friends. Maple listened, stunned and slightly horrified yet undeniable entranced by this lacy, sugar-coated life where nobody fought and nobody died.

Maple distrusted the new horse. Her relationship with Dancer had grown to mutual tolerance but this fresh animal was clearly far less forgiving and much more energetic than her previous mount had been.

“Good luck,” Lilia pulled her into a hug. “I’ll miss you.”

Maple hugged her back. “I’ll miss you too.”

“Farewell,” Nicanor vaulted onto his horse with ease. “Live well, court of Duke Harrington!”

There were laughing cheers and several young ladies blushed and hid their faces behind fans, eyes fixed on this new and unexpected species of male.

“Good luck,” Lilia couldn’t meet Tobiah’s eyes. “I hope it goes well.”

Tobiah took her hand and gently raised it to his lips.

“Goodbye, Lilia.” He said the words slowly. “May the gods protect you.”

He looked up at her from under his eyelashes and his lips brushed her skin for just a moment longer than necessary. Then he was away, Lilia’s cheeks scarlet, and leaping onto his horse, pushing forward at a steady canter.