Chapter Thirty-Nine - The Return to Etheron

There was one secret entrance to Etheron left open and heavily guarded. Teliwen led them there, a long route round the infested valley. The mountain slopes seemed second nature to her but the others slowed her down.

“Here,” she announced, in a low voice. “This is the way in.”

“Yes,” Pepper’s face was carefully blank. “I can see why this dead end will take us straight to the heart of Etheron.”

A boulder stood up and saluted, eyes blinking. Pepper stared at him, gobsmacked.

“No way,” she breathed. “You’re a soldier?”

The man who had previously been a rock nodded once in her direction. Pepper gazed back in admiration. She had never seen camouflage so good.

“Knight-Commander,” he nodded to Teliwen.

“It’s eels for supper,” Teliwen clapped him on the shoulder. “I’m bringing these guests into Etheron.”

“You’d better hurry,” the guard looked over his shoulder. “The order is for the city to be sealed at sunset. I believe the Protector has been issued a challenge.”

“A challenge?” Tobiah cut in, his voice sharp. “What kind of challenge?”

The guard gave Teliwen a questioning look and she nodded curtly.

“He has rank equal to Knight-Champion amongst his own people. You may speak to him.”

“What’s a Knight-Champion?” Ane whispered.

“The highest rank below Protector,” was Teliwen’s reply.

“A message was delivered to the Protector this morning, through unconventional means.” The guard didn’t look prepared to divulge what these means were. “I do not know the contents but the Protector requires the city sealed. Nobody enters. Nobody leaves. Mount expanded guards. Prepare for battle.”

Teliwen tensed. “He’s closing Etheron? What about Plan Nine-two?”

The guard looked blank. “I am only Soldier, Knight-Commander.”

“Forgive me,” Teliwen snapped her hands at the four others. “Come. Now. And fast. We never seal Etheron completely. I have to know what’s going on.”

“You know the way,” the guard gestured at the uncompromising rock. “I warn you. He will not be relaxed.”

“Bugger that,” Teliwen shook her hair out of the careful pins. “I’m his teenage daughter. He will have to see me.”

The guard looked doubtful.

“Are you sure?” Zeno raised an eyebrow. “He didn’t seem overly fatherly.”

“Don’t worry,” Teliwen smiled brightly. “I can throw one hell of a tantrum if need be.”

The secret passage sliced straight through the rock. It ran in regular zigzags, full of corners to hide behind if you were in full retreat. It was dry and clean, obviously well-used. Zeno could only imagine the effort that went into hollowing it out.

 Teliwen strode along with her dark hair swishing, fists clenched tightly by her sides. Zeno couldn’t decide if she was angry or afraid. Perhaps it was both.

 They emerged from the passage in a small storeroom, the walls lined with sacks of potatoes. Teliwen didn’t hesitate, banging open the door and barging past the guard. The others followed, blinking in the sudden flare of sunlight.

  Etheron had changed. While previously it had been like a garrison, full of soldiers off-duty, now it was an army at war. Zeno stared as two six-year-olds – a blonde girl with a hideous scar across her face and a boy with a sword strapped across his back – sprinted past, eyes intensely focused.