Hays Bobil - Bobilutleie pa Ostlandet

LEED ratings are widely-used to certify buildings (both commercial and residential) that meet certain environmental metrics like reduced CO2 emissions and water usage, and improved overall energy efficiency. LEED certifications have grown the gold standard for environmentally friendly construction.

Much more than just the test of the final product, LEED measures nine different types of sustainability: sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy & atmosphere, materials & resources, indoor environment quality, locations & linkages, awareness & education, innovation in design, and regional priority.

Building on previously used land earns points in both the Sustainable Sites and Locations & Linkages categories. Additionally, points may be earned for limiting impact towards the ecosystem, reducing pollution and soil erosion, and controlling storm water runoff. Appliances that save water and electricity can earn both Water Efficiency and Energy & Atmosphere points. Recycling, waste reduction and sustainable production processes are encouraged within the Materials & Resources category.

A lot of people are surprised to learn that points inside the Awareness & Education category are usually not earned for raising general awareness about LEED and green building. Instead, builders earn points for educating building tenants and managers regarding how to enhance "green features" of the building. The Innovation in Design category awards points for unique design features and technologies that exceed even LEED's high standards. Last but not least, developments earn points for addressing Regional Priorities dependant upon U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) regional councils.

Usually, the LEED certification is well-received, and highly preferred. Not only can there be prestige related to being LEED certified, but developers and builders have discovered that promoting green and sustainable building standards is wonderful for business.

However, through the years, complaints have arisen with regards to the ease in which certifications is obtainable, has there's no follow-up. Now, the U.S. Green Building Council is proposing changes geared towards addressing those issues.

The primary criticism leveled at the [http://www.1plus-consult.de/ Nachhaltigkeit Zertifizierung Leed] is usually that it is a one-off process. Builders and developers normally include systems which allow them to check things off a listing, but they also never need to actually use those systems. Additionally, points are awarded, although not deducted. For instance, as much as ten points might be earned in new construction buildings that reduce overall water usage by 50 %, but there's no penalty when the building doesn't be involved in a recycling program or if the builder installs a used, inefficient, air conditioning system. Subsequently, there's really no real incentive for including a comprehensive environmental plan in new construction.

Taking these criticisms into account, USGBC has announced a new ratings system - LEED 2012 - might be presented this fall. The modern system will need LEED-certified buildings to produce information available regarding environmental suggestions, in the hopes of encouraging transparency files sharing. It's going to require buildings to have a re-certification process every 5 years.

Though the new system might be released in November, USGBC members may possibility to vote about the system next summer, giving time for members to apply the new system and discover what - or no - adjustments are required.

Regardless of anything else, LEED certification raises awareness with regards to the overwhelming have to start thinking long-term about the environmental impacts of development and construction practices. As USGBC continues improving its certification process, it provides a beneficial blueprint for environmentally sustainable building.