Chapter 2

Ch. 2

The plane ride to Pensacola wasnt too long, but it felt like a million years. The wait in the airport was probably the worst. Our flight was delayed for two hours after the time it was supposed to leave, so it was about ten oclock before the plane took off, but the worst part was Dawson trying -and failing- to make a conversation.

He went on, and on about how amazing Florida is, and how nice the beach was, and how the springs were the most fun thing in the world, and how I would just love it. He tried to ask me about my life, but I shut down. That was a subject I had avoided for several months, some may call it unhealthy, but I saw it as a way to keep me from regressing.

I suppose he got the idea that I wasnt interested when I took my phone out of hiding, and plugged my earbuds into my ears and turned on my music.

My music exposed a reality to me, the deep south was nothing like where I come from. People had a completely different idea of what was right. Florida wasnt in the news much, but its neighboring states were all over the news lately. Alabama and their homophobic laws. The general conservative republican point of view. I mean how could the annoying orange be elected president if it werent for his empty promises that favored the southern point of view.

Thankfully, Dawson and I had separate seats on the plane, so I wasnt forced to socialize.

After collecting our bags, and driving for about thirty minutes, we arrived at a medium sized townhouse. It wasnt a castle, but it was definitely a large place to live. I walked in with my suitcase, and it was barely furnished. Zoe ran up to me and insisted that she show me my room. She seemed to be very excited to show me my room. I hoped that I had enough room.

She showed me up to my room, it was spacious, plenty of room for me to hide from any form of socialization with actual humans. I told Zoe thanks, and began to unpack my things starting with my crushed music box.

***

I woke up to a dead laptop on the edge of my bed, but something was off, this was not my room. Completely bizarre thoughts ran through my mind. I quickly dismissed them when I realized that my old home was gone, and I was living here, in Pensacola. I could already feel the suffocating humidity.

I got dressed, black pants, t-shirt, black hoodie, and black shoes. Clothes that represented my mood. I checked for the rubber band on my wrist.

I walked down stairs to get an apple for breakfast, but Dawson was already up and startled me, sending my braid flying to my eyes Good morning!

Morning, I said flatly, Im going on a walk.

This early? Dawson asked.

Its noon, I reply.

You cant go outside! He urged.

Why not? I ask, getting angry.

Its June. He says with the same urgent tone.

So? I shoot back, I have a feeling I know where this is going.

They parade around, in June. And, there is one today. He says, pleading me.

Let me guess, you dont want it rubbing off on me?

Uh-

Thought so, I have my phone, dont call unless there is a nuclear apocalypse. I shoot back extremely angry.

Dawson muttered some incoherent words as I walked out of the doorway, with an apple in my hand.

I pulled out my phone, and googled the nearest public park, and one popped up a quarter of a mile away in the middle of the town.

The townhouse wasnt in the suburbs, but right in the middle of the city, which was perfect. I had full access to nearly the whole town.

I walked down perfectly manicured avenues with chic boutiques on either side of the road, and a bakery every four-hundred feet. The bakeries reminded me of the bakeries my dad would take me to after my mother and him had a bad fight. It took everything I had not to break down on the spot. I began to sweat with all of the effort it was taking to fight the tears, so I took off my hoodie to reveal the white crop-top underneath. I almost didnt notice the large crowd forming at the end of the street.

The people in the crowd looked genuinely happy, but I just wanted to cross the street to get to the park. So, I walked up to the edge of the crowd, and started blurting random versions of excuse me to get to the road, so I could cross it.

As I was attempting to cross the road a tall guy in a white t-shirt and black jeans walked up to me, and embraced me. I went stiff with panic. He mustve noticed because he loosened his grip on my shoulder, and whispered, You look like you could use a little fun, just walk with me. I dont know why but I walked down the street in a Pride parade with this strange guy. With his hand still on my shoulder he said, Just smile and wave, do you have a flag?

I shook my head in reply, and he reached in his pocket and pulled out a rainbow flag and said, here.

I smiled and took the flag and relaxed and realized that this was fun, and I should enjoy myself.

Youre right, I needed this, how did you know? I asked him.

I didnt, he replied, I saw your scars, and figured that you needed a pick-me-up. I took a real chance you know, most people down here would have had something rude to say.

Yea, I mumbled, I realize that, but I know you knew I wouldnt be like that.

True. Hey, whats your name? he asked.

Safia, yours?

Alexander, but most people just call me Alex.

Cool. I said the electricity from the parade was running through me and I just wanted to jump around and smile until my face was sore. WOW! This is so much fun! I said with a pep in my step and a smile on my face.

The best part is coming up soon, Alex informed me.

Whats that? I asked excited for more.

They throw colored powder into the air, in every color, thats why most people wear white shirts, so everybody can see the colors! he exclaimed.

That sounds awesome! I said, happier than I had been in years. These people were all different yet they were all part of an amazing community.

When the parade rounded the next corner I could see people covered in a rainbow assortment of colors, it was magical. Within a few steps we were walking on multicolored powder, people started slowing down and I heard a blast, so I shut my eyes, and put my arms up, and spun in all of the different colored powders.

I heard cheering, so I opened my eyes to see the powder settled, and everyone around me looked like they walked through a rainbow and soaked up all of the color. Magical was an understatement, there were no words to explain how I felt. I felt so accepted, and loved, and happy, more than I had in so many years.

I couldnt find Alex at first glance, but then realized that he was what people were cheering about. He was passionately kissing another guy. I was so happy for him, I joined in on the cheering and clapping. When they finally broke apart their similes outshined the sun. The guy Alex was kissing took out a pen and wrote his number on Alexs hand, and everyone clapped and cheered.

When the crowd finally died down, Alex found me and offered to walk me home, but I declined and instead asked him where the nearest place with a restroom was so I could wash my face, and get some powder out of my hair. He realized what I meant and offered to take me to a café, to get lunch and get washed up.

A/N

Thanks so much for reading, I hope you liked it! More to come soon! (maybe) Until next time!