Chapter 32

Our first stop was to ensure Amber was being transferred to Sinthea's ship. We were on a tight schedule if we were going to join the battle and survive it long enough to evacuate but we needed most of the Serpentus to leave the station before getting a fighter. We were technically stealing from the Serpentus Navy after all.

With Amber secure, we started down towards the docking bays. If my estimations were correct, in ten minutes, the first wave of enemy forces were due to arrive. The elevator area was quiet when we arrived and we slipped into the elevator and begun our descent.

"Now, that we're away from the crowds, fill me in with everything you know," Stuckey said.

"Let's start back when I was interrogated," I started. "The General told me that they had received a message explaining why we were down there."

"They had an insider on the station," Stuckey said.

"Exactly," I replied. "Luckily, Qanas had already been in position and intercepted the General's orders to strengthen the defences and we were able to complete the mission."

"We got very lucky there," Stuckey said.

"Yes, but I think Qanas and his teams were already in position," I continued. "He might have already suspected a traitor from within but I could just be guessing. Most likely, they were already in the base by the time we touched down."

"What happened next?" Stuckey asked.

"While I'm in the room with Amber, I wake up and helped get her some water," I continued. "I hear the door being unlocked and I just get the feeling that it couldn't be anything good. I hide out, watch Wass walk in wearing night vision goggles and holding a pistol and turn on the lights to surprise him. I disarm him, he curses me out and we fight."

"How'd he get killed?" Stuckey asked.

"That's the crazy part," I smiled. "Amber woke up, picked up the discarded pistol and shot him."

Stuckey chuckled and shook his head. "How embarrassing. Getting killed by someone too drugged out to even see straight. You're lucky she didn't get you instead."

"I was alright," I said. "He had me pinned to the ground and choking me. Amber had a clear shot."

"That explains the new bruises around here," Stuckey said, pointing to his own neck. "I just thought you got into experimenting or something."

"Oh ha ha," I said sarcastically.

The elevator doors opened and we hurried out to the docking bays. "How are we going to do this?" Stuckey asked. "You look like a strong breeze could knock you over."

"My pride says 'shove it'," I replied. "But I know what you mean. We're taking a two seater. Split the work load 50/50. I fly, you shoot. Should make up for my injuries."

"If you say so," Stuckey said. "The shoulder won't hinder your flying?"

"It's still weakened but not stiff and swollen," I answered. "I should be able to work the throttle just fine."

I peeked into the first docking bay but quickly moved away when I noticed it was still full of Serpentus pilots getting ready. The fighters in the second and third docking bay were already gone but the four had a group of five advanced fighters in the corner. There were a couple of the Serpentus ground crew preparing the area but they wouldn't notice us if we were quiet.

I motioned for Stuckey to follow and we crept along the wall of the docking bay until we arrived at one of the fighters. They were small and shaped like a mix of tear drops and diamonds and stood straight up and down with a connector holding it to the wall. The wings stuck out from the middle and curled towards the front like arms flexing. I had never come across a ship like this before but it featured two seats so I wasn't going to argue.