1 | RESCUE

2016

A thick frost covered the abandoned town. The wind bit into every crevice it could find, slowly but surely wearing down whatever object that dared to defy its power. There was no movement amongst the deteriorating buildings as the sun began to set, and the fear of night descended over the living creatures that might still be roaming the streets.

A thin, trembling hand covered the mouth of a young girl to muffle the chatter of teeth, weakly followed by a shake of the head. The child attempted to control her actions, but the unforgiving winter was seeping into her fragile body and she couldn't find any more strength to muster. The older girl at her side, still a kid herself, was managing the situation a little better even on an empty stomach.

A child taking care of a child. That was what their world had come to.

Tears began to spring forward in the older female's eyes, and they fell to the ground soundlessly as their trek continued. They were hot from anger and desperation, and she let them flow freely while bitterly thinking of how warm the droplets felt on her skin. But after sensing the worried gaze of her little sister on her face, she quickly stopped her silent crying and put on a more determined expression.

I won't let you die out here. Not while I'm still breathing.

The ruined town surrounding the grand vampire city of Sanguinem was as barren as the frozen forest beyond the walls. Every house and store was picked clean of vital equipment to living. The elder knew they had to escape this prison, and they had to do it while avoiding the monsters that ventured outside to lurk in the shadows. Monsters that now ruled over humans and treated them like livestock.

"Onee-chan..."

The smallest of the pair sank to her knees, her legs no longer able to carry her weight. Her golden brown, almost blonde hair stuck to her sullen cheeks, outlining her pale face like a death omen.

"It's just a little more, Eiko, I promise," her older sister whispered frantically. "The tunnel is right over there, just like the map says." She pushed the little girl back on her feet but Eiko couldn't stay standing.

"I can't, Kimiko," she whimpered. The six year old let out a shuddering sob, adding in a pained voice, "My body hurts too much."

In her desperation, Kimiko scooped Eiko up and cradled her protectively into her chest. Her arms protested with the slight weight, then her legs followed suit as she pushed herself to run the last stretch.

Just a little more, and we'll finally be free.

They had to make it to the other side. There were only hours left until it would be Kimiko's birthday, and she needed to know that her baby sister was going to be in good hands before she succumbed to the strange virus that killed anyone over the age of 12.

The owner of the map, a woman who was miraculously immune to the virus, told her that beyond the wall of Sanguinem was a colony of children who had survived. The woman, along with another immune man, would care for them in their safehaven, a bunker with an ample quarantine station. That was where Eiko had to be. Even if it meant that Kimiko would ultimately perish in the process.

While Kimiko ran, limbs on fire, she failed to notice the predators stalking them. They were purposely playing with their prey, allowing hope to fill them with each step. Draining them would only taste sweeter that way, when they also drained the humans of their ridiculous hope.