CHAPTER-11

Iyke caught the trembling little Lady as she slowly began to fall. She gently pushed his hand away, still looking dazed.

"I made him crash into that fence," Lily whispered, feeling nauseous.

Iyke looked up, people had dragged the man out of the ruined vehicle and were beating him up. Hoping not to attract any more attention to themselves and upset the lady, he quickly made for the opposite direction.

"Let's get out of here," he said, dragging Lily along.

Since people seemed more interested in dealing with the hit man. They broke into a run. 

"I've got a friend we could stay at his place," Iyke panted, hoping he sounded reassuring. Could she just slow down a bit? 

"Sure," Lily replied, not breaking a sweat as she sped through the air like a rocket.
She didn't care where she was going, her major concern was distancing herself from that gruesome scene.

"What exactly happened?" Iyke asked, when they had slowed down to a walking pace.

"Thought you were watching," Lily said, slanting him a quizzical glance.

"Not exactly. My head was too muddled to comprehend anything," Iyke said, reaching out to take her bag. He should be a gentleman and carry the loads, he chided himself.

Lily brushed his hand away from her bag. "I will tell you when we get settled."

"Okay," He said, putting a comforting arm around her shoulders.

If Chris didn't get this girl first... He killed that thought the moment it was conceived. Lily was Chris's girl and if he wanted to help, the much he could do was see that both of them were happy and where they were supposed to be, together.

"I dived out of the car's way and it hit the breaks, reversed and came after me again. Then I raced towards that laundry building and leaped on the fence. He didn't secure the breaks fast enough, so he crashed into it." Lily narrated, quelling the shivers that ran through her.

"I'm so sorry. So sorry," Iyke whispered, feeling bad.

The whole thing was getting terribly messy. They were in Emeka's house, Iyke's friend. He was at his parent's place but instructed Iyke on where to get the key to the apartment. It wasn't a large room. A few plastic chairs were arranged in a circle at the centre of the room and two single mattresses occupied two corners of the room. The floor was rough and the fan whirled reluctantly above. They were both huddled on the plastic seats. Lily felt so sick, she wanted to throw up. She had brushed shoulders with death or at least permanent maim. That dazed look scared Iyke, she seemed to be looking through him.

"So you will now tell me what the damn hell this is all about? I have a right to know for goodness sake." 

"Yeah, right," Iyke said, thinking of the best way to do this. He took a deep breath.
"The thing is, Flora orchestrated all these." He began cautiously.

"Excuse me?" Lily asked, cocking an eyebrow.

Iyke took another breath, he must tread carefully if he intended to convince this Lady of anything.

"Bottom line is, Flora had been doing everything humanly possible to claim Chris for herself," Iyke tried again, picking his words meticulously.

Lily had sworn she wouldn't ask about Chris, but since Iyke brought this up...

"How's he anyway?" Lily asked, trying to sound nonchalant.
She ignored the mention of Flora, the dude was pretty good at folk tales.

"He should be fine now, but maybe not in few days time if we don't put an end to this," Iyke said, returning to the issue at hand.