ELEVEN

The bag was removed from Ryan's head, though the darkness around him remained. He stumbled as he tried to adjust his vision. "Where are we?"

"Still in Hell, don't worry." There was a smirk to Brendon's tone, wherever he was. "We just have to prep you."

"Prep me?"

"Going back to the surface world after being dead awhile can be... Strange." Brendon dragged out his last word, making Ryan shudder.

"Explain?" Ryan turned his head to each side, but the demon was out of his range of vision.

There was a soft chuckle behind him. "First of all," Ryan spun to face Brendon, immediately flinching at the bright, yellow eyes that looked back at him. It was almost as if they could see through his clothing and skin with the way they traveled over Ryan's body. "people up top have already gotten word, so do try to be careful."

"I thought I was just going up for the..." He hesitated. He didn't want to say it.

"For the kill?" Brendon finished for him, drawing closer to Ryan with his words. "Yes, but a dead man murdering his murderers would be a bit strange if documented, don't you think?"

Ryan reluctantly nodded.

"Good." Brendon smirked. He walked around Ryan, like a cat preparing to pounce its prey. "We should discuss how you'll go about it."

Ryan gulped. "Is... Is it really too late for any other option?" He asked, holding out a sliver of hope for spending this afterlife somewhere with a better reputation.

That sliver was all but destroyed by Brendon's booming laughter.

"No chance of growing wings and a halo once you're down here." He shoved Ryan, causing him to stumble forward. "Angels are dicks anyway."

"Says the opposite of what they are?" Ryan questioned as Brendon stepped in front of him.

The demon tilted his head. "Do you forget that my species origin is that of an arch angel who fell from grace?" He questioned, "Not so much an opposite as a variation on them." He grinned, wickedly. "You should learn, you'll be one soon enough."

Ryan kept his mouth shut. You'll be one soon enough. The thought of holding some kind of power against Brendon made Ryan want to hurry and get his tasks done. However, a small piece of humanity within him shrunk away from what he was planning to do. He was going to kill. He would never have killed to survive before!.. Would he?

No.

Not then... But now was different. Now, he had a demon eyeing him like some sort of play thing he could bend any way he wanted. Ryan needed some kind of strength against the creature... Even if it meant killing those who sent him here in the first place.

"What else do I need to know?" Ryan asked, somehow managing to keep nerves from his voice.

"The right places to target." Brendon said, starting to move around Ryan again. Before Ryan could add anything to the demon's words, he was met by a blow to the stomach. He doubled over as Brendon said something incoherent through the pain. Before that pain could fade, another blow struck his upper back. Ryan cried out, dropping to the floor.

"Don't be a baby!" Brendon scolded, kicking one of Ryan's legs. "You need to learn human pressure points."

Ryan inhaled with a hiss. A burning sensation was spreading from where Brendon had assaulted him. It was a slow burn, creeping along the underside of his skin to eventually cover every inch of it. He focused on that as Brendon taunted him.

The burning.

The fire.

His death.

Ryan saw a blackness creeping through his vision. He shook his head, however, pushing it back. He needed to stay conscious. He couldn't let himself be vulnerable.

"I'm ready now." He spoke with such a low voice that the demon pacing the space around him halted.

Brendon tilted his head at Ryan. "What makes you so sure?" He asked, taking a slight step back from the curled up body on the floor. Had he pushed too far?

Ryan remained still for a moment, hunched over and holding onto his gut. The darkness around his vision was shifting in color. The black was fading into a deep red. Ryan steadied his breathing as the red coated his vision. "I know how I'll kill them." His voice was even deeper than before, almost sounding as if it belonged to someone else.

"You're really taking away my fun." Brendon pouted as he took another step back from Ryan. "We haven't even looked over special to Hell torture tools."

Ryan shut his eyes, but he still saw red. He felt so hot, it was as if another fire was burning inside of him, rather than around him. He resisted crying out from the pain, but just barely.

I can't die again if I'm already dead... I can't die again if I'm already dead...

Ryan pried his eyes open. The pain wasn't fading, it was coursing through him. His veins felt as if molten lava ran through them rather than blood. His vision had a red tint, like he was looking at the world through party glasses. Despite all this, he forced himself upright. The burning inside of him felt less apparent with the movement.

"I know how I'll do it." He said, bringing his hands up. He looked at his palms, but he wasn't sure what he was looking at. Was smoke rising from his palms?.. He let his eyes dart to his wrist, noticing red where a usually blue vein rested under his skin.

"You're sure?" Brendon asked, making the fire within Ryan burn hotter. The demon's tone sounded mocking. He didn't think Ryan could do it.

Ryan turned, making eye contact with Brendon. The demon had seemed cocky enough, but his face dropped when he locked eyes with Ryan.

Good. Ryan already had a slight upper hand. He felt himself smirk. "Positive."