Behind the Cabinet

Nineteen days passed by, and now there were twenty more days until we had to move out, but little did I know what plans Elise had for me. We had been pretty calm for the weeks leading up to now and summer break had officially begun and now we could really focus on what to do about our housing situation. It was a nice, breezy summer day and Elise and I sat on the balcony of my room. I was painting her fingernails as she listened to me chatter on and on. I didn't notice her uncomfortable and distressed behavior. 

While her nails dried, I decided to go out to the mailbox and get the mail. Elise and I walked down stairs and she headed toward the kitchen to get a glass of water while I headed towards the front door. I opened the door and closed my eyes. I breathed in the fresh air and warm sunlight. I walked down the driveway and checked the mailbox, no mail. I shrugged my shoulders and trudged back up the driveway to our front door. As I turned the doorknob, I heard the kitchen cabinets slam shut and a cup drop to the floor.

"Whoa, is everything all right in there?" I said as I sauntered through the front door.

"Oh, yes, yes. Everything is totally fine! Haha, I was just uh, you know, getting my cup!" Elise said nervously as she picked up her cup from the floor. She looked startled like she was hiding something.

"Uh huh... So, what do you want to do tonight? Just watch whatever is on T.V?" I suggested.

"Sounds great! Let's check on our business first though." Elise said with a nervous smile.

I gave her a curious look, but Elise forced grinned back at me. I rolled my eyes and chuckled, as she was just being weird. We checked up on our business and saw that there were a bunch of items that were high in demand! We excitedly talked about the future of the business and buying more timeless antiques to sell. Everything seemed to be going in the right direction for once, the future became more hopeful.