I Met my Fairy-Godmother: Chapter 4

Eleanor zoned out the rest of the conversation. It was not as hard as it should have been. All she had to do what focus on the ringing sound in her ears and she could hear nothing. It was too high pitched. She closed her eyes and went back to sleep.

When she opened her eyes, the two boys were gone. By now it was long into the night. Eleanor stared at the moon. No matter how many years passed the moon was unchanging – getting further and further away from the earth, but unchanging. It was large and peaceful, white and brilliant. Temporary. If Eleanor stayed up all night the moon would disappear.

If only I could run away. Somewhere over the sea. I would fly with wings and sore, far from responsibilities. No one would follow me, I would be on my own. I would be free from all cares, so I would freely roam. Would I be happy on my own? I guess I will never know. I am a sad bird in a cage, dreaming what is possible.

Eleanor recited the poem. Perhaps she wrote it. Eleanor had a feeling freedom was something she always had. She suddenly remembered a musical composition. She remembered a soft voice singing it as a song. This ringing was becoming annoying.

She sang it so that the ringing would go away. It hurt at first but then it sounded natural. She smiled to herself. She missed the calm,soothing feeling she had once felt long ago. It must been because of ignorance. Now she could return to it.

She remembered the calm voice, and harmonized with it. It must have sounded strange hearing just the alto to a song, but her voice could only do alto. Her mother wrote the song. She had to be a soprano.

Eleanor pictured the moon from a different window. One that was small and insignificant. The moon appeared smaller as well. Its quiet moonlight peered through it as a white beam in the dark room. Tiny hands blocked the moonlight, creating a shadow. The moon made her hands white. A woman in a rocking chair was looking out the window. She was a mere silhouette.

Eleanor climbed up on her lap. She started to drift off. She wondered what went through the woman's mind. Suddenly the lady smiled, and started rocking the chair. She hugged Ella tight. She started singing and moving Ella's tiny hands.

Ella sang it too after the lady sang it once. She was terribly off key. The lady smiled. She lifted an almost completely asleep Ella from her lap and carried her to the couch. The lady walked away.

Suddenly, Ella was high above the ground, safely secured in large reassuring arms. She opened her eyes and saw the woman walking behind her. She said something. Ella apparently did not understand. She completely dozed off.

Eleanor was whisked back to the present. She decided to call herself Ella. It sounded more innocent and childlike. She wanted to go back into bed. Walking was difficult. She was heavy. Her legs were dreadfully unstable. The world was spinning. She needed to get back into bed.

On a table she never noticed before, there was a envelope, placed in the middle of the table. Ella was positive it was not there before. It had a large glass of water and a plate of food. The plate had a metal cover, shielding it from outside contaminants. Ella noticed her hunger. She did not care about her thirst. She had decided it was unquenchable.

She opened the letter.

Duchess Eleanor Smith of Ginstenia,

 I am afraid I must remain anonymous for reasons that will be revealed in the latter. I have just stated that I will keep sending you these letters sent by anonymous people. It would be pleasurable if you do not try to discover my workers'identities. I do not find it necessary, but if it satisfies you, do as you please. You do not have to go out of your way to discover my identity. As I have previously stated, it will be revealed in the latter. Investigating such matters is unnecessary. I have the ability to allow, and disallow you to do as you please. Do not view this as a threat. I am merely reinstating my power over you.