The Letters

"I love you." he whispers into his girlfriend's ear.

"How much?" she replies, a smile taking over her face.

He taps his chin with his pointer finger. "My love for you can't even fit into the vast infinite space that the galaxies posses."

The young girl blushes. Her stomach does back flip over back flip and sticks the landing. She looks up into beautiful brown eyes.

"You're amazing. What did I do to deserve you?" she says, her eyes turning serious.

Pulling her in closer, he asked "Do you love me?"

"Of course!" the girl grips his collar.

"Then say it."

"I love you."

With those three words the couple fall into a deep and passionate kiss. His kisses trailer down to her jaw line. He lingers there while she giggles from the unsuspected contact. His lips soon trail down to her neck. This is all new to her. Her body shutters in surprise. In all her 17 years she has never felt her heart beat like this. She breathes in his scent of strong oak and the soap he used. Her breathing quickens and her head feels lighter.

Without warning the light is flicked on and brightness feels the room. Acting like a spot light on the canoodling couple. They jump up off the couch and try to act discrete.

"What the hell is going on in here?!" demands Mrs. Cabello.

The young girl struggles to find words that will justify the situation to her glaring grandmother. "We.. we were just..."

"I'm not having this under my roof. Tell him to leave right now. After, you go upstairs!" the elderly woman shouts, veins popping out on her forehead and neck.

The girl makes no movement. Frozen at the sight of her yelling grandma. She's almost 18. She feels she should be allowed to have her boyfriend over. Things just got heated. They're teenagers. It happens.

"Ahorita, Michelle!" Mrs. Cabello grabs the young guy by the arm. She ushers him to the door way.

"Abuela, please" the girl finally springs into action. They struggle over the boy until the elderly woman topples over and falls to the side. The young couple gasp and quickly go over to assess the woman.

"Alejate de mi! Both of you! You're just like your mother!"

....

From the old front porch the granddaughter watches as the elderly woman is placed in the back of an ambulance. Tears streaming down her face. Her hands firmly grasping the necklace around her neck. The young boy stands at his car watching her. His heart falters at the thought of not being able to see her again. The elderly woman cursed at him in every Spanish bad word. She even banned him from her house and from his girlfriend. All before the police showed up.

An old man pulls up in an old pick up and rushes over to the young girl. He places an arm around her shoulders. She falls into him. Soaking his plaid button up with tears. His frail old hands palm the back of her head. He eventually shuffles her over and into the pick up. They drive off in the same direction as the ambulance then arrive at the local hospital.

As they wait in the emergency room, she tells her grandfather what happened and apologizes over and over. The old man tells her everything will be okay. The doctors say she just injured her hip. But the young girl continues to blame herself. Once they are allowed back, she helps escort her grandpa to his waiting wife.

"Mi amor." the old woman says with an out stretch hand.

He walks over and takes her hand in his. "My love."