Chapter 14

After classes I walked alone through the corridors. I was making my way to the owlry, having a letter to send to Remus. I kept my head down, already not wanting to be out. I would've much rather been in the Gryffindor tower, alone, consumed by my own thought.

I walked up the stairs to the owlry, only to bump into someone, then dropping my letter. It reminded me of meeting Sevastion. I shook that past my mind and dropped to pick up my letter. I had seen the boy I bumped into had gotten to it before me. We both stood up and he handed me the letter.

"Thank you." I said. I looked up to see Fred, smirking down at me. It wasn't one of his usual, sort of cute smirks; it was a sad smirk. His eyes were filled with sorrow, and guilt.

"Fred." I whispered, looking him in the eyes.

"Iris." He whispered back. "I'm so sorry."

"For what?" I whispered. "I'm the one who should apologize. I'm so sorry for being an arse. It's just-"

"Shhh." Fred shushed me, taking a step closer to me. He placed a hand on my shoulder. "I accept your apology. I am just happy to have my Iris back."

I smiled, then hugged Fred. "I missed you too."

...

I walked back to the Gryffindor tower with Fred to see Harry, Ron, and Hermione working on homework in the Common Room.

"Oh well look who made up." Ron said.

"Shut up." I said, smirking at Ron. I sat down on the arm of Harry's chair and smiled. Fred sat down on the floor in front of me.

Just then, we heard someone running down the stairs. I looked over to see George and Lee Jordan walk down the stairs. Fred jumped up.

"You git!" He said, storming over to the two.

"Hey!" George said. "What did I do?"

"Not you." Fred said. He pointed to Lee. "You."

"What did I do?!" Lee said, throwing his arms up in surrender.

"You made it seem like I was spying on Iris," Fred said. "I would never do that to her!"

"Actually you did." Ron said.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Last year, don't you remember?"

"That's not the point!" Fred said. "The point is that you pissed off Iris, and made her mad at me, and made me think that I did something wrong. I have never felt more sad, angry, and betrayed in my whole life! Piss off!"

Lee stood in shock. He nodded, then walked off.

"Lee wait!" George called after him. He looked to Fred. "Sometimes you need to be a little less ignorant Fred. It'll save you the trouble later."

George then walked out of the Common room, following Lee.

"Fred," I said, putting my hand on his shoulder. He looked down at me, a sad look in his eye.

"We'll leave you two alone." Hermione said. He signalled for Harry and Ron to leave. The three left the Common Room.

"Sit down." I said quietly to Fred. He did as I said, sitting on the floor in front of an armchair. I sat next to him. "You aren't okay."

"I've never been fully okay Iris." Fred said. "Ever since I saw you walk through the Great Hall doors in your first year, I've felt like I needed to protect you. I would hear someone talking poorly about you, I would stop them. Being only a third year, that was a little challenging." Fred laughed. "I only wanted the best for you, and when we met, I-I was scared, that all of the chaos from Harry's life, from your life, would get you hurt. Iris everything I am is because of you. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true. Iris I can't imagine what life would be like without you."

"Fred," I said, my eyes tearing up. "You are the most amazing person I have ever met. I can't believe all of this, that you were looking out for me, all this time. I never acknowledged you. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry." Fred said. "It was my pleasure, to be your guardian." He gave a little bow, which made me laugh.

"You're so silly." I said, giggling like a small child. I made me remember when we were in the book shop, and Fred slid down the ladder. "Thank you, for everything."

"Thank you, for being you." Fred said. I pulled him into a hug, and held him tight.

"Never leave me Fred Weasley." I said into his ear.

"I won't." Fred whispered to me. "I promise."