one

He ran his hand lovingly along Zosia's thigh as they drove in his beat up old Land Rover on their way to the airport. She had her music blaring out and was humming along as they followed the roads. It was midwinter and the snow was falling slowly, although the wet ground prevented it from settling. She smiled as they drove, they were going skiing in the French Alps for their Christmas break, as it was something they'd both wanted to do for a while.
As Ollie neared the roundabout and crossed to the second lane, the front tires hit black ice and the car spun forwards, crashing into the side barrier, throwing Zosia sideways, her head smashing against the cold glass of the window. He pressed desperately on the brake as the car hurtled back sideways, throwing himself and an unconscious and bloody Zosia forwards into the airbags as the car flipped onto its roof.

He started suddenly in his sleep, a cold sweat covering his forehead as he gasped for air as he slowed his breathing. This was the third time in the week he'd had that nightmare, ever since the patient came up, and had told him of his own crash. He cursed under his breath as he sat up in the double bed, careful not to wake Zosia, who was in a deep sleep beside him.
He pulled back the covers and padded downstairs to the kitchen, pouring himself a glass of water, attempting to calm his thoughts. Every time he saw Zosia in his dream, blood trickling down her face as she sat unconscious, he wanted to scream and cry, hold her and never let her go. Seeing someone he loved dying before his eyes repeatedly.
He sat their kitchen island, on one of the leather barstools Zosia had picked out, in the darkness. He stared aimlessly at the glass of water before him, knowing that he would get no more sleep that night.