Part 5

Taylor's POV

As I descend the staircase, a lot of thoughts are flying through my head. What will we find down here? What is that man doing to Hayley? Is she badly hurt... or worse?

"No!" I say. Jeremy turns to me.

"You ok?"

"Far from it. I'm going crazy, I swear. I'm having conversations with myself," I reply. Jeremy lets out a small chuckle. 

"Hey, where's that torch of yours? I could use it right now," I say, being careful not to misplace my feet and go tumbling down the winding staircase. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around to see the torch in my face. Taking it, I flick it on to reveal that we've reached the bottom of the stairs. Ahead is a long hallway with flickering lights dotted around on the ceiling. This place reminds me of a bunker, but it's more like... a prison. We slowly start making our way down the corridor, and as we reach the end of it, a small door comes into view. I glance at Jeremy.

"Reckon Hayles could be in there?" I ask him, trying not to let my fear get the better of me.

"There's only one way to find out, I guess." He nods towards the door. "Shall we?"

The kidnapper's P.O.V.

I look over at the tiny form of Hayley. Out cold. I smile. Suddenly, there is a beeping noise from the other side of the room. I jump up and walk over to the laptop sitting on the table. My security camera has picked up something. Two men. Walking towards the door. How did they get down here? It doesn't matter. I'll take care of them. I check my holster. Good. The gun is still there, should I need it. I scoop up the still-sleeping Hayley, and make my way towards the exit.

Jeremy's P.O.V.

I'm reaching for the handle of the door, when I hear heavy footsteps coming from inside. Coming closer. And closer. And closer.

"Taylor, get back!" I warn. We both back away from the door, but I can still hear the footsteps. Without warning, the door flies open to reveal a man. He has Hayley.

Taylor's P.O.V.

I am sickened by what I see. Hayley's free arm hangs limply, and there is lots of blood running down it. Too much. Her face is practically white, and her eyes are closed. She looks close to death. Tears start to come to my eyes but I blink them away.

"What did you do to her?!" I yell at the man.

"Have her, if you want. She's as good as dead anyway," he smirks. And then he drops her. Kicks her towards us. I lunge forwards and drag Hayley behind Jeremy as gently as possible. Laying her limp body on the ground, I put my head to her chest to try and listen for a heartbeat. I hear nothing. And then... a tiny badum, badum, badum. 

I let out a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding, and tears of relief flow freely down my face. I just manage to cough the words out. "She's alive!"

"Taylor."

"Jeremy, help me get her up!" Why isn't he coming?

"Taylor, he has a gun."

I feel my stomach lurch as I slowly look up at the man.

"We need to get her out of here, now," urges Jeremy. Trying not to shake too much, I put my arms around Hayley, and pick her up from the floor. And then we run. My feet slap along the ground as I stumble down the long hallway, Jeremy close behind. There is a deafening BANG and I feel something go whizzing past my head and hit the wall by the staircase. Not far now. I can only hope that Hayley can hold on until we make it back outside. 

"Taylor, we're at the stairs!" yells Jeremy, just as I almost run into the wall. I brace myself for a long climb, and start to sprint up the stairs. There is another bang, and Jeremy cries out in pain. I whip my head around to see him clutching his shoulder.

"I'm fine... go! I'm right behind you!"

As we frantically ascend the spiraling staircase, my legs start to feel like lead and my arms burn. If I could just make it 5 more seconds...

A sudden yell makes me freeze. Has Jeremy fallen? No, he's still standing there... 

"I pushed him," he says. I feel terrified and relieved at the same time.

"Jeremy, what if he dies?" My voice is nothing but a faint whisper.

"T, he tried to kill us. He got what he deserved. Come on. We need to get Hayley to a hospital."

We finally reach the top of the staircase, panting and shaking. I carry Hayley outside and set her down on the leaf covered forest floor. I look over Jeremy who is talking to somebody on his phone.

"Hello? Please help us. W-we're in the woods, Hayley has lost a l-lot of blood... she's our friend. Please send help. Y-yeah, we'll get as close to town as we c-can," he stutters.

I look back to Hayley. She lies there, looking so fragile and vulnerable, as if a single touch would break her.

"Please stay with me, Hayles... I love you." I whisper. And then I surprise myself by doing something I've never done, something I've always wanted to do. I lean over her and kiss her. Her lips are cracked, and taste of blood.

"Taylor, they're sending an ambulance. They said we need to bring her to the edge of the woods." Jeremy's voice makes me jump and I quickly move away. I wonder if he saw me kiss her.

"Ok. Let's go." I go to pick Hayley up, but Jeremy stops me.

"Give yourself a break. You look exhausted."

"Ok..." but I remember his shoulder. "Jerm, did he shoot you? The man?"

He pauses. Thinks for a second.

"Almost. The bullet skimmed my shoulder, it's not bleeding much. I can carry Hayles fine. But we need to go quick, otherwise..." he trails off.

I know what he was going to say. Otherwise she might not make it. I pick myself off the ground, and Jeremy hoists Hayley up into his arms, and we set off towards town. Towards Hayley's only hope at living.

Hey, guys! I hope you liked this chapter, it was quite dark o_0

3 votes for Part 6 :)