CHAPTER III

(Catherine's POV)

That night I couldn't sleep. All the butterflies hanging were keeping me awake, freaking me out. Especially the ones with glitters.

Then, I hear my phone ringing.

"Hello?" I answered. The noise I hear on my phone was kind of creepy. I hear people talking, boisterous laughters and guns.

"Kate?" I recognized that voice. It's Alvin's. Deep, soft, humble and angelic. But why would he call at this time of night? Shouldn't he be sleeping?

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I wake you up?"

"No. Not at all. What's up? Why'd you call tho?"

"I think I accidentally butt-dialed your number hahaha!"

"Oh...what's with you tonight?"

"Just having my own lonely movie marathon for the long weekend."

"Oh I see..."

"What about you?"

"I'm with my family at our 'ancestral home' in the middle of nowhere. This place is creeping me out! I swear. The decorations in my room are horrible"

"Oh, too bad...Oh hey I actually want you to hear something"

"What is it Alvin?"

"Hold on..."

I waited for a short while. I kind of wondered what he wanted me to hear. Then I started hearing guitar sounds. I recognize the tune and the chords. D - Dsus4 - D - Dsus2. It's the song I let him listen during Summer Camp. He never stopped listening to it. And I never thought he plays guitar. It was like a hidden talent that only a few people know about.

"How was it? Did I do good?"

"You did great. That was so nice!"

"Really? hahaha. I did good?"

"Yeah, totally!"

"Thanks. But I'll never be as good as you!"

"Hey, it took me a long time to be 'good at it' you know!"

"Hahaha! So...my mom kinda heard us so....Good Night?"

"Good Night, Alvin"

My stomach woke me up in the morning. Totally I can smell the delicious wrath of bacon here in my room. It's 7:30 am, so probably some of us are awake right now. I put on my robe and went downstairs. I passed the dining table and it seems that the food was halfway set. Then Billy approached, "Good Morning, Ms. Catherine!" he said in his polite manner "Good Morning, Ms Catherine!" That was strange. I've never seen these red haid maids before. Were they here yesterday? All I've seen was Billy, Matilda the maid, Johnny Al the janitor, Jean Montecarlo the self-proclaimed 'sexy chef' and Toogie the gardener. Red hed maids? No, I have never seen them at all!

Billy offered me a seat in the dining area and asked me to wait for my food. He told me that they made something special for me. I was weirded out byt the situation here. Why me?

"Hey Billy, what's inside?" I asked when he put the tray in front of me. He didn't answer. I noticed an unsual smell. It wasn't the breakfast smell I was expecting. "This could be some fine dining thing," I said to myself. The juice was thick and red, the sauce was the same in color as well. It was a bad feeling but instead of asking to skip breakfast, I involuntarily asked again, "Billy? What's inside of the tray?" I looked at him with fear. The maids were giggling and glancing at me. With a smirk on his face he said, "Alvin."

What did I just hear? Alvin? "Billy stop joking!" I was in fear at that moment. I felt some sweat dropping on the side of my face. "Open it," he said. And when I opened the tray, I saw nothing but Alvin's head. His bloody head. So I screamed.

I woke up. It was a relief to know it was just a dream. Just a dream.

"Catherine!" I heard my mom while knocking on my door. "Yeah?" I was a bit dizzy from all the sweating I had during the dream. "Are you coming down?" she asked. I kind of lost my appetite from the dream but I know mom wouldn't like it if I didn't eat breakfast. "Yeah. Just...wait for me downstairs."

"How was sleep?" Mom asked. I didn't tell her about the dream. I don't even have the guts to tell her. Plus, she doesn't even care about Alvin so why would I?

"Not so great. Decorations pissed me off." I do feel like my mom is a little worried and I have not a single clue about! I do see something in her eyes.

"Did you hear any screaming last night?" I could have screamed in my sleep last night.

"Uhmm...no. Maybe they were watching a horror movie?" I said.

"Alright, baby. Eat your breakfast."

I stuffed my mouth with eggs, bacon and pancakes. If there was any cereal, I'd totally finish the whole box.

My cousins and I decided to spend the morning in the pool. It's been a long time since the last time we did this together. I could still remember the time when we had to wear floaties because we all wanted to swim in the adult pool.

Rose came up to me and asked about Alvin. "How did you know about that?" I asked her. She said that she saw me on Alvin's Instagram.

"Oh yeah...that..." I blushed.

"Is there a little something going on?" she jokingly said.

I refused to tell her. It really makes me uncomfortable when people ask about my relationships with people. I even get uncomfortable just talking about my friendship with certain people.

"You changed. Only a little," Rose said

"Is 'a little' okay or not okay?"

"No. A little is good."

We got out of the pool for lunch. Mom said Uncle George will be here to pick my cousins up so today was our last bonding together. Sad but we can still contact each other.

We spent our last few hours together in the porch. We just jammed and laughed at each other's stories. Carmel was telling us how Miguel accidentally hit Uncle George's balls while playing soccer in their backyard.

At that time, I swear it felt good. All these years I thought I was so lonely and I have no one. I never understood why. I realized that it was them who were missing in my life. And I also realized that most of us don't change at all. We only become more of ourselves.