Chapter 11: Through the Wall

The light of dawn shone through my window shield, signalling our third day on the ship. I woke up but lay in my bed for a while.

Suddenly, I heard a voice.

"Morning." it said.

I jolted upright to see Lonely Soul standing over by the wall.

"How did you get in?" I croaked, "The door's locked."

"I'm a ghost, Jared." He replied.

"Oh right, yeah..." I said, "What do you want?"

"I would like to talk to you about something." He walked over and sat on the end of my bed. Although, it didn't sink down because he was weightless.

"What?" I asked.

"After we had all calmed down yesterday, I was watching you in the afternoon" He said, "And it came to my attention that you seemed distraught about something."

"You were watching me?"

"Well, I was watching everyone. When you've been a ghost for as long as I have, you need to look for things to keep you from going insane."

"So, watching us is keeping you from going loopy?"

"Yes...it's more observation practice really."

"Right..." I was still a bit sleepy at this point and didn't really know how to react to this.

"So, anyway, would you like to talk about what is bothering you?"

"Nothing's bothering me."

"Something is."

"Nope."

"Jared...I've been around for 400 years. I've seen so many things. And in that time, I have learnt to read auras. Right now, yours is telling me that you are distraught."

I paused.

"Alright, fine. Something is slightly bothering me." I said.

"Would you like to talk about it?"

"Not to you...you're a ghost that we found in our engine yesterday..."

"That doesn't mean I'm not a good listener"

I paused again.

"It's Amber" I said, finally.

"You don't like her?" He asked.

"No, quite the opposite..." I replied, "I think I'm in love with her."

"Why is this bothering you?"

"Because I don't know how to go about telling her. Or if she'll feel the same way. Or if we're even going to survive long enough to be together."

Lonely Soul paused to think.

"I'm afraid, being a ghost, that I can't offer much advice on love. I haven't been in love for a long, long time." He said, looking forlornly at the floor.

"Were you in love when you were...alive?" I said, wanting a better word.

"Sort of...although, I died when I was fourteen, as you can see. But 400 years on this planet definitely makes a man out of you."

There was a moment of silence.

"Does everyone become a ghost when they die?" I asked.

"No, only those who have unfinished business." He replied.

"So, what's yours?"

"I don't know," He sighed, "That's why I've been here for so long. I've no idea how to get to the afterlife."

"Maybe we could help you figure it out." I suggested.

"Oh, whatever it was, I'm sure the time has passed now. I died over 100 years before the war."

"There might still be a chance out there somewhere." I said.

He smiled, "Maybe..."

He stood up.

"Anyway, I'll let you get dressed." He said, walking back across the room.

He turned around, "Thank you, Jared."

I smiled and watched as he disappeared through the wall.