Chapter 1

Marco stared at his paper. It was blank, and it was due next week. He read over the assigned pages a few more times before scribbling down an essay that'd easily score him a 100. His father knocked on his door before bursting in with his favorite food.

Marco thanked him as he put his homework back in his bag and sat on his bed with a new book and the food. He ate them slowly, and in about an hour, he climbed onto the roof where he sat staring at the stars.

Stars.
Star.

Tears came to his eyes as he thought of the girl that once was his world. His everything. But she was gone. He had let her go. Marco jumped when he thought he heard a familiar voice. He looked to his right, and there she was. She hadn't aged at all. The blonde sat beside him and smiled.

"What's wrong, Marco?"
"St-Star... I... I don't want to talk about it."
"Oh. Well, just think happy thoughts!"
"I-I know.... But..."

The illusion faded away making the tears in his eyes rush down his cheeks even faster.

"You are my happiness..."

Marco hugged his knees as he sobbed beneath the night sky.

XxX

Marco stared up at his ceiling. Saturday... He checked his phone and found multiple texts from girls asking if he'd go out with them. One caught his eye. His ex.

Jackie.

He rolled his eyes and deleted it. Marco climbed out of bed and ran down stairs, jumping out of his skin when he seen visitors on the couch. But... Why'd they look so familiar?

Queen... Butterfly?
King Butterfly...

He stared at them for a few more seconds, admiring their changes. Queen Butterfly's hair was now shorter, and she was wearing a different dress. It was simpler than her previous one. King Butterfly seemed to have lost a lot of weight. He looked murderous to Marco.

They stared back at him.

"Marco?"
"Queen Butterfly?"
"Why, it is you. You've grown into a much larger man than I expected."
"Why are you here? I mean... I'm glad you are but..."
"Well, Star completed her training as Queen. Yet, I am not wanting to retire for another year. So, we thought we would let her stay with you for a year. It is your senior year, after all."
"St-Star? She's... Here?"
"Not yet. She will be by tomorrow morning."
"Okay. Thank you!"

Marco rushed upstairs, shaking with excitement. He tried his best to fall asleep, but sadly, he would only get three hours worth.