Poisoned Youth

// Prologue \\

'You are what you eat' they always told her, but Phoenix couldn't remember eating a disappointment. Nineteen years of wasted youth is what she saw when she looked in the mirror. That, and an overweight, ghostly pale body covered in at least four years worth of angsty scars.

"Nix, you're beautiful now stop staring in the mirror and get dressed" a voice that was all too cheery for seven in the morning piped.

"I'm 5'3 and 150 pounds, that's called overweight, Paisley" She grumbled in return.

"But the weight is in all the right places!" Paisley argued glaring at her older sister.

Phoenix simply responded by snorting and rolling her eyes.

Paisley Saoirse, a fifteen year old with the entire world in the palms of her hands. Paisley was the exact opposite of her sister, successful, skinny, tall and tan with the unscarred skin that you would expect a new born baby to have. Bright green eyes and wavy blonde hair, it would be a blatant lie if Phoenix said she was not jealous of her younger sister.

Phoenix was short, with dark black hair and dull grey eyes, nothing special compared to Paisley. She let out a sigh reluctantly pulling some ripped jeans on, followed by pulling an oversized flannel over her sports bra. The red flannel hung off one of her shoulders but she honestly couldn't care any less.

The revolting reflection in the mirror was enough to make her want to run screaming, but that was her reaction every time she looked in the mirror.

Paisley was just leaving the bathroom as Phoenix was entering. Paisley was dressed in blue jeans and a long knit grey sweater. She made even the simplest outfits look amazing. The young girl didn't even wear makeup, she was just naturally beautiful. Phoenix however, slathered on as much makeup as possible. Primer, foundation, concealer, powder, contour, blush, eyebrows, slick black winged eyeliner, highlight, and mascara. It was quite the process, but she had done it so often over the years that she made it look easy.

"I don't understand why you put all that on, you don't need it" Paisley grumbled picking her backpack up off of the floor. "Hurry up I'm gonna be late".

Their parents had passed away when Paisley was only six years old, so needless to say the girls were close. Phoenix had never been a parental figure, more of a best friend or a role model. Regardless one of her duties was to drive the other to school in the mornings.

Before she knew it Phoenix was shoving the keys in the ignition and the old beaten up car rumbled to life. As you would expect, They didn't have much money. Enough to live in a shitty two bedroom apartment and own a century old car though.

Surprisingly enough, They lived somewhat near the high school which was lucky for basically broke people living in Los Angeles. Without another thought Phoenix backed the car out of the parking lot and sped down the road, heading towards the highway.

"Phoenix" Paisley asked shyly, looking down at her lap, blonde locks of hair cascading over her shoulders. "Do you think Mom and Dad would be proud of us?" She asked glancing over at her older sister.

Nix hesitated "well, I know for a fact they'd be proud as hell of you" Phoenix said nudging her sibling with her elbow.

Paisley smiled sheepishly "thanks Nix, they'd be proud of you too. At least I am, I love you" Paisley said flashing one of her famous, award-winning smiles.

Before Phoenix could even return the 'I love you' something came crashing into the passenger side door.