Chapter 1: The accident

"Pass me the map would ya kiddo" says Dad as we drive along the highway to the unknown destination. Unknown to me at least. I pass him and the map and he smiles his thanks in the mirror. He quickly unfolds it and hands it over to Mum, who is sitting in the passenger seat on her phone. Dad is the only person who can disrupt Mum while she's on the phone. She scowls at him, then reads out the next few instructions.
"Turn left at the next intersection, than keep going straight for about-"All of a sudden I'm thrown forward, and the force is so strong that I almost pass out. Glass flies everywhere and the air bags squash me. Then, there is nothing. No sound, no movement, nothing. It is quiet. So this is what it feels like to be dead, I think. Then there's sound, and a lot of it. It is then that I realise the car is upside down.
I look at Mum, who is still. She doesn't move, and I know what it means. Tears come to my eyes and I look at Dad. His hand is twitching, and I feel a small burst of hope. He slowly twists around to look at me.
"You have to get out of here," he says. "The darkness is coming." Then his eyes go blank and he is still as well.
"Dad!" I scream. "Dad!" I suddenly feel very hot. I turn and see that a fire has started. I try to unbuckle my seat belt, but it's stuck. I try again but it doesn't budge. I start to panic and tug on it really hard, and it finally comes loose.
I kick open the door and scramble out. Felling desperate, I run for my life. There is a burst of heat behind me, then blackness.