VIII

I cannot begin to describe how badly I wanted to be accepted into the Elect.

    Owen's mother, whose name was Ivy, had welcomed me with open arms. We spent all afternoon together -- at least, I think it was afternoon. I quickly learned that there was no time, for there could be no limits on immortals. They never felt hunger, and never worried about being threatened in any way. Somehow, they all just knew their needs would be taken care of.

    Ivy explained all of this to me when my stomach growled loud enough for her to notice.

    "Though we're not hungry, that doesn't stop us from enjoying all the goodness of life. That's what our sanctuary is, the fullness of life!" she declared, raising her eyes to the large skylight in the ceiling.

    Then, she had proceeded to our task, which was finding something for me to wear. My jeans, boots, and wet jacket weren't going to cut it here. While I wasn't uncomfortable with the temperature, I did feel a little out of place among the flawless beings who ruled the place.

    Ivy, wanting to give me a proper welcome, understood this before I voiced it. When she learned that Owen had chosen me, she had set her mind to my coming. So, she made me the ring as well as a variety of dresses. I would change in her room, then proceed to the hallway and show her what they looked like. Each one was beautiful, and each had their own little details that I liked about them.

    I was enjoying myself, even if I hardly knew this woman and was still trying to process where I actually was. Ivy's attitude was just like that of a child: genuine, innocent, hopeful. Being with her brought an ease to my mind. If she wasn't worried, I didn't have to be either. Owen's expression of concern must've just been from mortal exhaustion. I couldn't think of another reason.

    We were going to be immortal together.

    The very thought thrilled me, and I tried to hide it. I didn't want to disrupt the friendship that Owen and I had, but having him back brought me so much inexplicable joy. There was hardly a way to keep my excitement at bay. My best friend was alive, and came from a place just as beautiful as his soul.

    It made sense to me.

    I mulled over these thoughts in my mind as we walked down the path toward the main road. My cheeks were pushed back into a smile. I couldn't help but continue noticing the small details I had missed earlier; all the flowers, the butterflies, how the sun was warm and the night was refreshing.

    Ivy led the way, walking with one of her friends. Both of them were chatting excitedly while Owen and I trailed behind quietly. The dress I had chosen reached just above my knees. It was simple and elegant. What I liked most about it was that it made me feel like I belonged.

    "Where's your dad?" I asked as we strolled along.

    "He's on the Council of the Elect. My mother is too, but dad is the head of it. Which is just a title for the immortals older than the rest of us," Owen replied.

    "What do you mean?"

    "So, when the immortal world was first created, leaders were selected to keep peace between us and mortals. They're the older ones. At seventeen, that's the year when we are given a choice, and that's the rule. But my parents and a group of others were made immortal at an older age to establish authority and stuff," Owen explained. "They aren't that much older. I think the oldest one is, in mortal years, forty-something. All the immortals who were brought in within the past two-hundred years or so are stuck at seventeen. The age rule has changed a couple times."

    "Well, how old is the oldest immortal?"

    "The Council was all selected and appointed at the same time. So, if you wanted to know how old they really are... Hey Mom!"