XI

I scrambled off the ground and backed off the busy sidewalk. My entire body shivered under the thin threads that I gripped tightly. I had tattered, worn books, a filthy dress that hung below my knees, and a very thin, ripped sweater tucked around my shoulders.

    There was also a bracelet wrapped around my wrist with a small, transparent bulb in the string. Then I understood. My orb would glow when I passed the immortals' standards.

    I whipped my face up toward the street only to realize that the cars weren't from this century, and neither were anyone's clothes. The women wore long skirts as well, and the men had suits and trench coats. What era did the Elect send me to?

    To my right there was a bus stop at the corner of the block, and to my left, there was a restaurant, but it looked more like a club. I needed information; I needed answers.

    Stumbling, I made my way to a nearby woman, wringing her hands and waiting for the bus.

    "Um, excuse me," I started, teeth chattering. The woman looked at me sharply, glaring before turning her face away. I stopped approaching her, suddenly self-conscious.

    She obviously wasn't open to conversation, so I didn't bother with a second effort. I turned back the way I had come, my bones craving warmth.

    Then, I had a thought. It was very strange, yet it felt like part of me.

    My brother. I need to get him from that bar. That's why I'm here.

    Something clicked and I suddenly understood. This was the trial. To navigate a scenario and play my part in order to display a certain trait. A sureness washed over me, causing me to relax... slightly.

    The knowledge of who I was in this decade flowed through my mind naturally, and I accepted it. I was a little disturbed by how nonchalant this process felt, but I knew I had to go through it.

    My brother, David, was three. I needed to get him from the people I had entrusted him with earlier.

    I had left him to find food.

    I didn't have a home.

    Dad left us.

    Mom was gone.

    I had no money, no job.

    I was alone.

    It was the middle of winter in 1930. The World War had ended a little over twelve years ago.

    And I was very, very afraid. Panic rose in my chest as the pains of hunger took over my stomach. I clasped my hands over my middle, praying to the sky above that I would stay alive. For Dad, if he was out there. For David.

    Still, I knew who I was. Adaliah, trying to get into the immortal world in order to always live with Owen. I didn't know where Owen was, and I wondered if I would see him throughout this process. My stomach dropped when I thought about going through the Trails completely alone.

    Fear and desperation creeped up my back. I took a deep breath and strode into the bar, hands shaking. I had to get this little boy. Part of me felt guilty, because I had a feeling leaving him wasn't safe. Dad wouldn't have wanted that.

    Warmth hit me like a truck, and for a moment, I stood in the doorway, stunned. The heat stung my toes and fingers, bringing radiating blood to my cheeks. I flexed my fingers, relieved they didn't appear frostbitten.

    The bar was very crowded, filled with conversation, both loud and soft, obnoxious and steady. The mind from the time knew exactly who I was looking for; I also knew that I had no time for anyone else. Dusk was starting to settle on the city, and I had to make sure our box was still ours.