Chapter 3

Ashley's P.O.V

From the minute we got up, we started to fix up the house. We got out the vacuum from the hall closet and vacuumed the whole place. Man, was it dirty! While Kaye was busying herself with the vacuuming, I was washing all the windows, mirrors, and dusting all the shelves and tables. Well, actually not the mirrors. I'm leaving those for Kaye.

I have this...phobia of mirrors. I can't stand them. That's why we only have three. I think. We haven't checked the whole house yet. The only time I look in the mirror is to do my makeup and all that jazz and even then I need someone either looking in the mirror with me or at least in the room with me.

I hear the vacuum stop and Kaye's footsteps coming towards my direction.

"Ashley, you almost done?" I hear before she turns the corner.

"Yeah. Where's Charlie?"

"Oh she's probably still sleeping." She says, shrugging. I only nod and continue wiping the window.

"There. Almost everything is dirt-free. Just the mirrors are left." I say handing Kaye the rag. She sighs over dramatically while taking the rag.

"They're just mirrors, Ash. What's the big deal?"

"I...don't like to talk about it." She sighs again (though this one sounds more sympathetic) but nods.

~five hours later~

"Whew. We finished. Charlie! Time to eat!" Kaye was out at the store buying some essentials.

Charlie struts out of some room in the back and sits in front of her bowl. She is still a scrawny little thing, but we're hoping to fix that soon.

"Ashley? You home?" I here the door close and the shuffling of bags.

"Yeah. In the kitchen!" I call out.

I hear Kaye's footsteps getting closer until, "Hey, last night I couldn't sleep and I realized that we never actually explored the house. So I went and started looking around and... you've got to come see this." And with that, she skipped out. I sighed and got up from crouching by Charlie and walked out of the kitchen. Kaye was waiting just outside the doorway.

"Ready? I think you're really gonna love it." I follow her into the back of the house until we come across a door. A rather small door at that. At least, it was smaller than any door I've seen.

Kaye looks at me with a develish grin as she opens the door

Kaye looks at me with a develish grin as she opens the door. It's so dark; I can't see my hand in front of my face. I walk in, feeling the wall for a switch. When I find it, I flip it on and turn towards the door to see Kaye standing there with that grin. But, it looked different. Inhuman. Like it was stretching her face a little too much. Suddenly, she shuts the door on me. I start banging on the door, but gradually stop, for I hear light tapping on something that sounds like glass. I turn around ever so slowly to find.... a mirror. But it wasn't just a mirror. I had a bad vibe about it. Mostly because of my reflection. It was smiling, but I wasn't. For some reason, I start walking towards the mirror. My reflection stands still, staring at me with a blank face. When I reach the mirror, I look at my reflection, head to toe. But when I look back up at the face, there's red. Blood. All on its face. And it smiles again at me, showing its blood-stained teeth. I am horrified, but I can't seem to look away.

 I am horrified, but I can't seem to look away

"W-what are you?" I ask, trembling so much. It stops smiling so suddenly it catches me off guard. My reflection, somehow, fogs up the mirror and starts writing. Soon, it read: I'm you. I look at the thing in horror as it just smiles, blood still there, but now coming out of the eyes as well.

Then my reflection slowly gets closer to the mirror. It got so close I swear I could feel its breath, and its in a mirror! When it stop moving, it winks and me and screams, its mouth opening so wide that I had to scream from pure terror.

Suddenly, it bangs on the mirror so hard that it breaks.

"NOOO!!!!"

"ASHLEY!!!"

I jolt awake and smack into Kaye, grabbing her and crying into her shoulder. I couldn't breath; I was shaking so hard.

"Hey, hey now. Ashley, it was just a dream. You're fine now. It's fine. It can't hurt you anymore." She coos in my ear.

"Y-you... locked me in a r-room with a mirror. My reflec-reflection..." I slowly stop and untangle myself from Kaye.

"Ash, what's wrong?" I don't answer. Instead, I get up from the couch and bolt to the back of the house. I hear Kaye's footsteps right behind me, but I don't care.

When I reach my destination, I open the door and walk in ever so slowly. Before I can walk in, I feel Kaye's hand slightly touch my shoulder. I turn around and grab her hand, pulling her in with me while, with my free hand, I search for the light switch. When I feel the little lever, I flip it up. Suddenly, I let out a shriek.