The inconsequential truth

Hi there everybody! So I'm new to the whole wattpad experience and figured i'd give writing my own book idea a chance for once (It's rather hard for me, going through fanfiction withdrawals as I currently am haha). So anyway I hope you like my story. It takes a while to get started but I promise it will get more interesting and exciting as the chapters go on!! :P I am a huge angst obsessive so... Enjoy and don't forget to (i believe the saying goes...) comment, vote and share? Thanks <3

Chapter One

I was six when I joined the circus. It was a glacial evening; the snow falling in thick clumps, swept around by the harsh lash of wind, and coating the ground outside the big, colourful tent. Mum said she would take me to see the lions and the flying acrobats, she promised it would be a night I never would forget. That was before she left me alone in that huge swarming pavilion, venturing off somewhere, in search of someone, without looking back at me once. I never saw her again. It certainly was a night I never forgot.

▪▫▪

"Tonight, Ladies and Gentlemen," the stage lights flick on, dragging me from my reminiscing thoughts while I watch from behind the closed curtains as the sand and stone flooring become a canvas of the desert: The soft hues of yellow, red and even the flickers of gold and chaste royal blue protruding from the all too visible stage lights way behind the crowds, circling the platform. The man in the starch suit and bow-tie bellows at the crowd, silencing them with a collective hush as the glow expands to cover the beautiful woman for one last time as she curtsies low at centre stage, fifty metres into the sky. The clapping died with the voices as Megan, otherwise known as 'Madam Priscilla', slowly climbs around the beam and exits the stage as discreetly as possible while all eyes move to the Master. Her act is over, and mine's about to begin.

"I present to you all, the final show of the evening." As his arm gestures toward the red curtain and the two stage lights turn toward me. Taking one last deep breath, I bound onto the stage, snarling and growling, my golden fur and pointed canines producing excited, perhaps even frightened, screams from the crowds closest as they attempt to scramble backwards. I stop just short of a girl in first row, her brunette hair tied up in a bun on her head, her jeans and mid-drift look red in the lights but her pale, make-up clad face makes her look like she's about ready to faint.

My claws dig the earth at the edge of the banister keeping me from the crowd, as I flip backwards and bound off, leaving the girl gasping and high from the sure rush of adrenaline.

I bound up to a few others, they all freak out in equally humorous ways before my lithe body flies over to the Master, who's currently looking at the crowd with about as much amusement as I feel inside. Yet, however, there is something else there also. Something I myself have never noticed before... something not quite right.

That thought is soon swept away however, as his voice booms over the microphone, drawing all attention in the room.

"Meet Krutz" His voice booms, echoing through-out the tent and startling the people. "The one and only performing leopard in the world." Whether or not that's true, nobody really knows, or rather cares. Nor do they wish to look it up because they all have their faces glued on the big cat that's officially too close for comfort.

My name's not really Krutz either, it's Kai, and I'm not really a leopard at all, I'm a nineteen year old shape shifter; but they don't seem to want to know that either.

Julius walks out on stage after a minute, a duffel bag slung over his shoulders and a crooked grin etched onto his face. Everyone backstage knows that this is his favourite act of all.

I trot over to him and at his command I huff and sit on my butt about a meter from his feet, tail thumping the sand. With a wink, he pulls out a silver stick and waves it all around for the crowd to see. After wiggling it in front of my face playfully he then throws it halfway across the room, letting out a small whistle as he does so.