(6) Fanning the Flames

"What do you think?, Jay asked after forty-five minutes of watching Maine pore over the financial projections for the new investment.

"It looks promising.", Maine said, still busy doing some calculations in her head.

She blew at the strands of hair falling over her eyes so she could read better.  Jay reached over to catch the stray pieces and gently tucked them behind her ear.  Maine shivered at the contact but decided to keep quiet.

While stuck in traffic, Jay moved closer to see what she was reading.  Soon though, he found himself drawn to her creamy shoulders, her womanly scent inviting him to taste her.

  Soon though, he found himself drawn to her creamy shoulders, her womanly scent inviting him to taste her

"What are you doing?", she looked at him sharply and he straightened up hastily.

"Just checking out the view.", he said.

Maine ignored him.

"We can make the initial bid.  I may be able to re-align our budget so I can free up funds for the bid price.  Are you sure we can successfully integrate their operations with our existing ones without requiring fresh capital outlay?", Maine wanted to keep their conversation focused on strictly business.

"Yes.  We have the same operating processes as the target company so it shouldn't take too much effort to fold it in.  So it's a go, then?

"I'll endorse the investment, yes.  I'll type in my recommendation now and send it to FDM."

Maine turned to the backseat to reach for her laptop just as Jay turned to get some water from the cooler behind him.  Their foreheads bumped into each other.

"Aray! Ang tigas ng ulo mo ha!", Jay complained.

"Ako pa talaga?! Naalog ata utak ko sa sakit o!", Maine looked at the rearview mirror to check the damage. "See what you did?  May bukol na ko sa noo." Maine frowned at the red bump forming over her left eye.

Jay slowed the car down and checked on Maine's forehead.  His thumb moved over the swollen area and rubbed softly.  "Hindi naman namamaga.  We'll stop for lunch soon and we'll get that iced, okay?  Does it hurt?"

Maine grabbed at his right hand and put it back on the steering  wheel. "It's fine. Just drive." But her heart was beating frantically and won't calm down.

Determined to keep her mind off his warm hand on her face, she went back to the task at hand. As she picked up her laptop from the backseat, she saw the cooler and remembered watching him reach for it.  She opened it, got a bottled water and handed it to Jay as she sat upright. "Here, drink it!"

Mag-collapse pa to sa dehydration, kasalanan ko pa! that was how she justified the impulsive act to herself.

"Thanks! I didn't know you cared.", Jay teased.

"Akin na nga! Kung ayaw mo, wag mo!", she tried getting the bottled water back from him but he wouldn't let it go.

"Eto naman, hindi na mabiro."  He opened it quickly and drank it so Maine wouldn't have a chance to pull it away.